strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by techie.embedded, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Hello Members

    Im trying to compile an ADC driver for MCF5282.

    when i run make, i get the following error :

    qadc.c:1: warning: `MODULE' redefined
    *Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
    definition
    qadc.c:2: warning: `__KERNEL__' redefined
    *Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
    definition
    /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/m68k-elf/2.95.3/cc1 /tmp/ccT9QCRI.i -quiet -
    dumpbase qadc.c -O2 -version -fno-builtin -o /tmp/ccgAziMo.s
    GNU C version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)(ColdFire patches - 20010318
    from http://fiddes.net/coldfire/)(uClinux XIP and shared lib patches
    from http://www.snapgear.com/) (m68k-elf) compiled by GNU C version
    egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release).
    /usr/local/m68k-elf/bin/as -mc68020 -o qadc.o /tmp/ccgAziMo.s
    strip -S qadc.o
    strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `qadc.o'
    make: *** [ qadc.o] Error 1

    is this a bug or have i done something wrong at my end ?? any pointers
    on how this can be fixed would be highly appreciated.

    By the way, the version of gcc im running is gcc-2.95.3

    regards

    krish

    techie.embedded, Feb 7, 2007

  2. techie.embedded

    Arlet Guest

    Looks like you're trying to run the host OS version of strip, rather
    than the target version.

    try /usr/local/m68k-elf/bin/strip

    or m68k-elf-strip if you have it.

    Why would you want to run strip on an .o file anyway ?

    Arlet, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Hello Ariet,
    thanks heaps... a shame, i didnt notice that myself...

    cheers

    krish

    techie.embedded, Feb 9, 2007