Studio XPS 9000 vs. Studio XPS 8100

Discussion in 'Dell' started by powrwrap, Jan 12, 2010.

  1. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    I'm still doing research into my next computer purchase. I see that
    the Studio 8000 has a model number change to the 8100. I'm looking for
    differences between the two XPS Studios.

    The 8100 starts at $699. The 9000 starts at $899.

    The main difference as I see it, is the processor.
    The 8100 comes with the Intel Core i5-650.
    The 9000 comes with the Intel Core i7-920.

    Memory
    8100 has up to 16 GB dual channel.
    9000 has up to 24 GB tri-channel.

    Expandability
    8100 has ?? hard drive bays
    9000 has 3 hard drive bays

    Power Supply
    8100 has ?? watt supply
    9000 has a 475 watt supply

    What else am I missing?

    powrwrap, Jan 12, 2010

  2. powrwrap

    Daddy Guest

    The critical difference between the 8100 and the 9000 is the chipset.
    The 9000 uses Intel's X58 chipset, so it runs processors based on the
    Nehalem architecture, like the Core i7-920.

    If you want a Nehalem processor, triple-channel memory and 32 lanes of
    PCIe then you want the 9000.

    The 8000 uses Intel's P55 chipset, which runs processors based on the
    Lynnfield architecture, like the Core i5-750. It can also run the new
    Clarkdale processors, like the Core i5-650.

    If you want a Lynnfield or Clarkdale processor, dual-channel memory and
    16 lanes of PCIe, then you want the 8100.

    Basically, if you run demanding applications - like 3D games, HD video
    editing, Photoshop, CAD, etc. - you want the 9000 with 6GB of memory (or
    more.)

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jan 12, 2010

  3. powrwrap

    Nick Guest

    From the tech specs tab for the XPS8100 on Dell's web site:

    An Intel i7 CPU is optional for the XPS8100, but not the Extreme Edition i7
    (which is available for the XPS 9000).

    Two hard drive bays; can be configured with up to 3TB.

    350 watt power supply.

    One thing I've noticed from checking Dell's site regularly is that the CPU
    options for the XPS9000 have dropped over the last few weeks.

    Currently, the only CPU options left for the XPS9000 are the i7-920 and
    Extreme Edition i7-975. All the i7 CPUs in between are no longer listed as
    choices.

    The missing choices were probably the most popular ones, so I'm hoping it's
    just a supply issue (Christmas, Win7 release, and the economic roller
    coaster) and that the other CPUs will be available again soon.

    Nick, Jan 12, 2010
  4. powrwrap

    Nick Guest

    According to Dell's web site (just rechecked a minute ago), the 8100 can be
    purchased with either an i5 CPU or an i7 CPU:

    Intel® Core™ i5-650 processor(4MB Cache, 3.20GHz) [Included in Price]
    Intel® Core™ i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz) [add $49 or $1/month1]
    Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz) [add $149 or $4/month1]
    Dell Recommended
    Intel® Core™ i7-870 processor(8MB Cache, 2.93GHz) [add $429 or $13/month1]

    Nick, Jan 12, 2010
  5. powrwrap

    Daddy Guest

    Core i5-750, Core i7-860 and Core i7-870 are all Lynnfield processors.

    Core i7-920 is a Nehalem processor.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jan 12, 2010
  6. powrwrap

    Nick Guest

    Thanks for clearing that up!

    Nick, Jan 12, 2010
  7. powrwrap

    Daddy Guest

    We can both thank Intel for the confusing model numbers. It gets worse:
    Some Core i5 processors - like the Core i5-660 in the OP's post - are
    Clarkdale processors, while the Core i5-750 is a Lynnfield processor.

    And worse: Nehalem is actually the name of the micro-architecture
    (internal design) for the Core i7-9xx series of processors. The first
    processors built on the Nehalem architecture - including the Core i7-920
    - are known as the Bloomfield processors.

    All of which proves one point: I am reading /way/ too much of Anandtech
    and Tom's Guide, and need to give it a rest for a while. ;-)

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jan 13, 2010
  8. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    Dell has a special on XPS Studio 9000 through March 4th. $358 off the
    regular price.

    I spec'd one out with a 23.5" monitor, 8 GB memory, subwoofer speaker
    system, 750 GB hard drive and it came to $1,198.

    powrwrap, Feb 26, 2010
  9. powrwrap

    Daddy Guest

    Someone needs to have a real good reason to pay for 8GB of RAM.

    The only add-on I might pay for when ordering from Dell is one of their
    monitors. You'll do much better to buy peripherals like speakers from a
    third party.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 26, 2010
  10. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    How much memory do you consider to be adequate for video editing and
    converting? Consider I will want to be doing other tasks while video
    is being converted.

    True. But I tossed it in there just to see how much the total would
    be. I also put in a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Could
    probably do better elsewhere with that stuff as well.

    powrwrap, Feb 27, 2010
  11. powrwrap

    Daddy Guest

    Tom's (and most others) use less than 8GB for benchmarking, which
    includes applications for video and audio encoding and transcoding.

    You don't want to do other work on your computer while encoding or
    transcoding, no matter how much memory you have.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 27, 2010
  12. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    Why not? I've been doing it successfully for over two years, probably
    more than 75 projects. Admittedly the encoding takes longer, but so
    far no problems.

    powrwrap, Feb 28, 2010