    Would a server board (say, built around an E7501 chipset) exhibit the
    same problem? If one were to put 4GB of memory in, would the system
    actually see (and use) 4 gigs?

    Joe Schmuckatelli, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Joe Schmuckatelli

    daytripper Guest

    IO is memory mapped, something has to give.
    If this is Windows, only PAE Mode will let you see more than ~3.5GB of memory.

    daytripper, Apr 2, 2005

  3. I understand that. I didn't know whether or not the server chipsets
    (as opposed to those used in desktop boards) were able to map memory
    around the areas reserved for IO. I gather you're saying the answer
    is no.

    Joe Schmuckatelli, Apr 5, 2005