    Express. Sure enough, I had forgotten to plug the ethernet cable back
    into the unit. I plugged it in and everything now works properly.
    *sigh*

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Oh, I know that I don't. I was the support person at an Apple
    dealership many years ago.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 7, 2008

  3. This is why the help desk always asks that most infuriating of
    questions, "Is it plugged in?"[/QUOTE]

    "Yes, it's plugged in; the green light is on, and Airport Utility sees
    it. Oh, you mean is the ethernet cable plugged in? Wait a sec, I'll
    check.... Sorry to have bothered you and wasted your time. No, there's
    nothing else I need right now. Thank you."

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 7, 2008
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Marc Heusser Guest

    One of my favourites as an MSEE or electrician - worked many many times:

    It works better if you plug it in :)

    From Murphy's Laws, if I am not mistaken.

    Welcome to the club ;-)

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Michelle Steiner

    maz Guest

    Just another sign of aging!

    Stuff like that happens to me on a regular occurrence nowadays!

    maz, Apr 8, 2008
  6. LOL.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 8, 2008
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Warren Oates Guest

    I've done that. I set up the audio for a party once, got it all plugged
    in, couldn't figure out why the amp wouldn't come on. I'd plugged it
    into itself, "ooh, out of outlets, where shall I plug this one; ooh, I
    know, the amp has one ..."

    My other one was the old ADB mouse/keyboard set up. I'd move the
    computer for some reason, not much, and the ADB plug would come loose,
    and the keyboard and mouse would freeze, "shit, it's crashed." Reboot,
    "shit, now what?" Eventually I figured it out, but [blush] it happened
    more than once.

    Warren Oates, Apr 8, 2008
  8. Hey! I've got a pending patent for a perpetual motion machine based on
    that discovery!

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 8, 2008
  9. It's really infuriating when it isn't plugged in.

    Walter Bushell, Apr 9, 2008
  10. And then there's the ultimate. "Oh, I cannot see that, we are in a
    blackout."

    Walter Bushell, Apr 9, 2008
  11. Better than plugging the speakers into the wall, as at least two of my
    friends have told me they did. This disaster was even mentioned in
    speaker instructions I got once. It appears some people just cannot
    resist the temptation to use those connectors for speakers.

    Walter Bushell, Apr 9, 2008
  12. I liked "Insert new system disk". That one made me think, I did not
    happen to have a hard disk with Windows on it at the time.

    Walter Bushell, Apr 9, 2008
  13. Michelle Steiner

    John Varela Guest

    Back in the days when a 64 character X 16 line plasma panel cost about $1000,
    one of our plasma panels failed. Years later, the first-level supervisor
    told me that he had covered for one of the technicians, who had put 120 v AC
    across the signal input to the panel. I didn't even ask how he had come to
    do that.

    John Varela, Apr 10, 2008
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Warren Oates Guest

    How on earth ...?

    Warren Oates, Apr 11, 2008
  15. Some people are dumb enough to use a regular AC plug on the end of a
    speaker wire. You wire an AC jack to the speaker terminals and you now
    have a quick disconnect/reconnect for your speaker.

    One of those dumb people was me (it was in late 1954). I lent my system
    to my girlfriend of the time, and later I brought it back to my dorm. I
    took the amplifer one day, planning to fetch the speaker the next day.

    There was no speaker the next day. The young lady, noticing the plug on
    the speaker, plugged it into the obvious place - the AC wall socket.

    It was a valuable lesson in interface design (to me; she didn't quite
    get it). Ever since then, I have always tried to use plugs that can
    only go into the right kind of jack or socket and sockets that can only
    accept the right kind of plug.

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 11, 2008
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Warren Oates Guest

    I can't argue with that. I can proudly say that it has never occurred to
    me to put an electrical plug on the end of a speaker wire.

    In film school, lo many years back, an instructor plugged 220 volts into
    the audio input of a Nagra III, just to prove it could be done. Lovely
    old beast, the Nagra III.

    Warren Oates, Apr 12, 2008

  17. This is one of the major advances in electronics. The old Macintosh SCSI
    plug[1] was the same as the Centronics parallel printer port, much
    hilarity ensued.

    [1] SCSI was notorious for needing Voodo to make it work, sacrificing a
    kid[1] was frequently the only way.

    [1] young goat

    Walter Bushell, Apr 13, 2008
  18. Michelle Steiner

    Tim Streater Guest

    Tim Streater, Apr 13, 2008
  19. A chicken, not a kid.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 14, 2008
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Tim Streater Guest

    It's the redundancy that is puzzling.
    Pass. Here, the puzzle is to know how a tea-kettle differs from any
    other kind of kettle.
    Quite.

    Tim Streater, Apr 14, 2008