Success - Powerleap Upgrade for Compaq Dekspro EN SFF

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by RW, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. RW

    RW Guest

    Just got a Powerleap adapter (PL-iP3/T) + Celeron 1400 (Tualatin)
    package in the mail today, and found out it that it does indeed work
    in my Deskpro EN SFF. I wasn't sure it would, since Powerleap's
    compatibility database did not have a listing for this adapter on the
    SFF Deskpro.

    Quite an upgrade from a PII-350.

    I'm using the heatsink that came with the package, which means that
    the flip-down tray holding the HDD/Floppy does not close fully. I'll
    be cutting out a section of the tray so that it will close - this
    means that the floppy drive can no longer be used in it's current
    position. I plan on mounting a slimline floppy drive on a bracket
    attached to one of the PCI slots, so it's accessible through the back
    of the PC.

    For those interested, here's some details:

    * Powerleap PL-iP3/T adapter (Revision 2.0) - voltage set at 1.5V
    * Celeron 1400Mhz (Tualatin)
    * Compaq Deskpro EN SFF, Slot 1 CPU connector (motherboard is marked
    as being capable of handling 700Mhz)
    * BIOS Version 99-08-21 (Downloadable from Compaq (or, rather HP's
    site))

    The BIOS recognises the CPU as a Pentium-III 200! However, booting
    into Gentoo Linux 1.4, I can see that it is correctly recognised as a
    Celeron 1400Mhz CPU.

    I also have another Deskpro mainboard, this one is marked as handling
    a maximum of 550Mhz or so. I'll try the Powerleap in that one soon,
    and post a followup on the success (or otherwise) of that test.

    Cheers,
    MW

    RW, Dec 3, 2003

  2. RW

    MW Guest

    I have just tested the adapter/cpu with the other Deskpro EN SFF motherboard
    (P1547 25GUIRS 009583-101 REV B/E) which is actually marked as having a max
    CPU speed of 450Mhz. BIOS ver is 686T5, 99-08-21.

    At startup, system complains that "Processor is not supported", but upon
    pressing F1, system boots up normally. Gentoo Linux 1.4 still correctly
    recognises the CPU as a Celeron 1400Mhz.

    Apart from the minor inconvenience having to hit F1 at each boot (especially
    is system is to be used a server), I can safely report that the Powerleap
    PL-iP3/T Rev 2.0 + Celeron 1400 (Tualatin) works with this Deskpro EN SFF
    motherboard too.

    Cheers,
    MW

    MW, Dec 4, 2003

  3. If it were to be used as a server, there are a number of remote
    management tools that can be scripted to take care of the F1 issue. Sys
    Admins hate to get up in the middle of the night to press F1 due to some
    server reboot.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Dec 4, 2003
  4. RW

    the yeti Guest

    Courious, What did the Power Leap adapter cost you?

    the yeti, Dec 5, 2003
  5. RW

    MW Guest

    MW, Dec 6, 2003
  6. RW

    Jeremy Guest

    So for $108 US yoou managed to upgrade an obsolete computer? Checking
    pricewatch.com and Newegg.com I see this:

    $42 Celeron 1400
    $25 Socket 370 Motherboard
    $30 ATX case with 400 watt power supply

    or

    $42 Duron 1.6
    $30 Socket A board
    $30 ATX Case w/ 400 watt PS

    or for only $49 you can get an Athlon XP 1800.

    The Duron has a faster FSB, and is very upgradeable. The Duron will also
    smoke that Celeron. I just dont see the point. If the PowerLeap adapter
    was $45, maby, but not over $100. Further reading here:

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=1

    Jeremy, Dec 6, 2003
  7. RW

    MW Guest

    Thanks for your input Jeremy. I did consider that I was perhaps throwing
    money at an old obsolete computer, but here's my reasons for upgrading using
    the adapter:

    1. I get to keep that nice small case that the Deskpro EN SFF comes in.
    Since this machine currently lives in a cupboard, size is important. How
    much would a micro case the same size cost?
    2. The system currently works well (it's used as a router/firewall/database
    server) using Linux - I didn't want to introduce any further issues
    regarding new hardware conflicts, etc.
    3. I'd have to upgrade my the RAM (more $$$) to take advantage of the faster
    FSB of the AMD chips.
    4. These Deskpro machines seem to be built with a bit of quality. I don't
    know if buying the cheapest components as a replacement is a convincing
    option.
    5. Do the prices you quoted include shipping? Anyway, for myself and others
    like me in Australia we perhaps don't get quite as good a deal as those
    shown on pricewatch.com et al (anyone know of an Australian equivalent?)
    6. If I got a totally new system, then I'd be reluctant to get rid of the
    old hardware (being a bit of a hoarder) - and I've got too much computer
    crap lying around as it is!

    Perhaps these are not the most convincing arguments for some, but there you
    go.

    Cheers,
    MW

    MW, Dec 7, 2003
  8. RW

    the yeti Guest

    1. I get to keep that nice small case that the Deskpro EN SFF comes in.
    Dunno, but as far as small form factors go, check out the VIE Mini
    ITX, thoes are pretty sweet. Or you could hack a Xbox.
    I hear you there, if it aint broke, don't fix it
    The Socket A board for $30 was PC133 SDRAM, otherwise you will have to
    dump more $$$ into it. What does that Deskpro top out at, and are you
    getting a 133FSB or 100? And speaking of tech specs, what about the
    hard drive, are you at ATA-66?
    First tive I've ever heard anyone say that about a Compaq. :)
    but I love all mine....

    Most of thoes prices included free shipping, however it is FedEx
    ground, so shipping to Austrailia might cost somthing. Pardon my
    blissful American ignorance, but do you guys use the same power as us?
    (110 VAC). Can you buy a case with a power supply from the States
    and have it work over there? And can I assume that all hardware
    parts are interchangeable from country to country?

    the yeti, Dec 7, 2003
  9. RW

    MW Guest

    -----
    -----

    Hmmm, I *do* have an xbox looking rather unused in the living room...
    please, don't tempt me. ;)

    -----
    -----

    A maximum of PC100 for the Deskpro. I'm pretty sure the HDD is at ATA-66.

    -----
    -----

    We're on 240 VAC (50Hz), so unless I'm mistaken, a US power supply won't
    work. Although come to think of it, almost all of power supplies in my
    computers have a slider-switch to select the mains voltage... the
    possibility is there I suppose.

    Apart from the power-supply issue, I do believe that all PC electronic parts
    work in any country.

    Cheers,
    MW

    MW, Dec 7, 2003
  10. RW

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    Quality and presario are two words that are not often heard in the same
    sentence... but the deskpro line, esp the SFF's are solid, stable little
    bundles of joy.

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Mar 1, 2004