Sudden system halt with P4C800E Dlx

Discussion in 'Asus' started by news.free.fr, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. news.free.fr

    news.free.fr Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm having this strange behavior : am I working or not, the system halts
    suddenly without switching off
    the power supply, the VGA receives no more signal.
    Asked for ASUS support, they made me clear CMOS, but pbm remains.
    If any of you have an idea on how to isolate the cause of this, would be
    greatly appreciated (since no software tool can be used).

    Below are my specs :
    Win XP SP2 on
    ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe
    P4C 3.0 Ghz
    1 GB Twinx DDRAM C2PT
    Radeon 9700 128MB (from Hercules)
    1 SATA HDD 250 GB Hitachi
    1 UDMA100 HDD 200 GB Hitachi
    2 ATAPI CD/DVD
    (no RAID installed)

    news.free.fr, Oct 25, 2004

  2. news.free.fr

    Ender Guest

    That is certainly an irritating behavior. I think my first step would
    be to tear the system apart and reassemble it, making sure there are
    no ground posts on the case that are not aligned with the motherboard
    mounting holes. I would be sure to re-seat every component firmly. I
    would also check the seating of the heatsink fan assembly on the cpu.

    If a total reassembly did not resolve it, I would be very suspicious
    of the power supply and would swap it out to see how a different one
    handled the system. I would also be sure to check the front panel
    power switch, as I have seen some that do not spring back completely
    and stay in an "almost engaged" position, which could go to "fully
    engaged' with enough vibration or case flex. Obviously this could
    lead to unconditional power off issues.

    Good luck tracking it down.

    Ender

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

    Ender, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Many thanks for your answer Ender.
    I surely try this when I've time to.
    I'm currently "digging" with the Hercules support since my MB works fine
    with
    my old Geforce 256 (limited to AGP 4x).
    And my Radeon 9700 worked fine on my old ASUS K7M.
    I'm a bit fed up with these AGP problems...already had ones with Geforce 256
    on K7M :eek:(

    Dark Vador Mir, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Finally it seems to be resolved thanks to Hercules support.
    The P4C800E Dlx has a BIOS setting named "AGP VDDQ voltage" that has to be
    set to 1.5V
    if using video cards compliant with both 3.3V (AGP prior to 8x) and 1.5V.
    This is because MB doesn't support 3.3V and Auto setting "fails" (or seems
    to) to choose the right voltage.
    Hope that's it.

    Dark Vador Mir, Oct 26, 2004
  5. news.free.fr

    Ender Guest

    Thanks for posting the solution (hopefully). That would be great if
    it is resolved for you with a simple bios setting.

    Regards,

    Ender, Oct 26, 2004