    come with its own HDD controller onboard, that could be talked to via
    an external microproc or FPGA.

    thanks

    wallge, Mar 1, 2007

  2. wallge

    larwe Guest

    If you already have an FPGA, why use an MPEG ASIC? You can encode MPEG
    in your FPGA.

    Again, if you have an FPGA, why do you need an external "development
    kit"? If you are willing to use standard parallel ATA (as opposed to
    the let's-line-Intel's-pockets SATA drives) it is fairly trivial to
    interface to a hard disk.

    larwe, Mar 1, 2007

  3. wallge

    wallge Guest

    Well
    (A) the encoder IP for the FPGA is VERY
    expensive, (B) I am not going to write an MPEG encoder from scratch.
    thats why i'd rather have an ASIC
    and just pay for the chip itself.
    Also I am doing a lot of other processing
    on the FPGA and would like to not have
    to worry about saving FPGA logic/ external memory access
    for the the MPEG encoder.

    wallge, Mar 1, 2007
  4. wallge

    larwe Guest

    In that case, the best "evaluation platform" is probably a PC with a
    PCI MPEG encoder card and a hard disk :)

    Video encoder and decoder ICs tend to be terribly difficult to get
    without NDAs, precisely because of all the expensive IP in them (and
    the horrific thought that someone might build a device that doesn't
    comply with whatever DRM bullshit the MPAA's bought politicians are
    trying to peddle at the moment).

    larwe, Mar 1, 2007
  5. wallge

    wallge Guest

    I know that I could just send pre-encoded
    video to my FPGA and skip the encoder ASIC
    step, but the whole point of my project is to put together
    an embedded system, which a desktop computer is not part of.
    Or at least proof of concept for an embedded system...

    wallge, Mar 1, 2007
  6. wallge

    larwe Guest

    "PC" does not imply "desktop computer". Look at embedded PC solutions
    from Advantech, BCM, etc.

    larwe, Mar 1, 2007