Suggestions for Video Adapter upgrade

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Omicron, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. Omicron

    Omicron Guest

    Hello all,
    I have an HP-Pavilion FK792AA-ABA a6600f, which houses a FOXCONN Napa
    HP motherboard.
    This MB has four (4) slots:
    One PCI
    Two PCI ex1
    One PCI ex16

    I'd like to watch 3D Blueray videos on this machine (and maybe even
    play a few of those 3D games).
    Can anyone make a few suggestions as to which video card I should
    purchase based on the equipment I have?
    Price is always an issue but I'd like to hear whatever you folks have
    to suggest.

    I realize I'll also have to change my DVD player to a blueray player
    as well.
    The system is running Win7-64 bit with 3GB RAM.

    Thank you for any assistance.
    Regards.

    Omicron, Jul 14, 2011

  2. Omicron

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jul 14, 2011

  3. Omicron

    Omicron Guest

    Thanks for the reply Ed!
    Let me further inquirer if I may?
    Suppose I just wanted to WATCH 3D Blueray movies and not play any of
    those fancy games at all?
    What graphics card would you then recommend, still with keeping the
    basic idea of cost being a factor.
    Thanks again.
    Regards.

    Omicron, Jul 14, 2011
  4. Omicron

    Omicron Guest

    Ed,
    One further item:
    Do I need a HDCP monitor to watch Blueray 3D movies (no games - just
    movies) via my computer?
    And what about Blueray movies that aren't 3D? Would I still need a
    HDCP monitor?
    Lastly, I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit - won't I need some type of
    additional software to work in conjunction with the hardware to allow
    the viewing of ANY Blueray (3D or otherwise) movie?
    Thanks.

    Omicron, Jul 14, 2011
  5. Omicron

    Ed Light Guest

    Oops - I missed the 3D thing. I know nothing about that at all. For that
    I think you'd need a more recent card than the 4xxx series.
    If you don't have HDCP, then it should be playable but will display in a
    lower resolution than HD. Unless things have changed and they've rigged
    it not to play at all.
    Yes. It may come with the optical reader. Otherwise alot of people use
    Cyberlink's player, which is expensive. I'm not up on alternate players
    -- still with DVD's.
    And of course you'll need the video driver for the card. And to set the
    BIOS on the computer, if need be, to boot first from the PCI-E 16 slot
    if there's a card in there -- though it's likely already that way.

    Hmm - and I think that for 3D Blu-Ray you need a special monitor or TV,
    and probably glasses. But I'm really not up on that.

    Is there someone out there who knows?
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 14, 2011
  6. Omicron

    Omicron Guest

    Ed,
    Thanks for your time and input.
    I'm gonna start a new thread and ask the basics.
    Funny thing of it is that all this research is for a nephew and not
    for me!
    Thanks again.

    Omicron, Jul 15, 2011
  7. Omicron