    what they are, but I am looking for more detailed information. Can
    anyone suggest any good starting points? Thanks.

    --Matt

    matt.singerman, Apr 25, 2005

  2. matt.singerman

    Eric Guest

    Your question is pretty vague...... to put it nicely!

    An embedded system is anything with a Microprocessor that isn't a PC,
    and are usually under 1 GHz.

    What are you trying to do with an embedded system?

    Eric

    Eric, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Hi Eric,

    Sorry I didn't give more details! I would like to create a very, very,
    very small system which still maintains reasonable speed, and do it at
    as low a cost as possible. Think a system that would be powerful
    enough to load linux and run an application not unlike zsnes, be able
    to read and write data from flash memory, receive input from a keyboard
    and have a video out. My main goal is to avoid using a hard drive of
    any sort - that adds in a lot of energy consumption, slows things down,
    and adds cost. Am I even being realistic here?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    matt.singerman, Apr 25, 2005
  4. matt.singerman

    Lanarcam Guest

    You might want to have a look at http://www.embedded-linux.org/

    Lanarcam, Apr 25, 2005
  5. matt.singerman

    Scott Moore Guest

    Get a degree in computer science at the local university ?

    Scott Moore, Apr 25, 2005
  6. matt.singerman

    Leon Heller Guest

    Very ambitious if you are new to embedded systems. You'd be better off
    starting with something simple like a small PIC or AVR system. I've got some
    examples on my web site.

    Leon

    Leon Heller, Apr 25, 2005
  7. It appears that you are describing something close to a general
    purpose computer system.

    An "embedded system" is, to me, a microcontroller or microcomputer
    systems hidden inside some other equipment, so that the user of that
    equipment is not really aware of the computer. For example, modern
    cars have many embedded systems (engine control computers, anti-skid
    braking systems, etc...) hidden within them.

    I don't think a system that "can load linux and run an application"
    describes an embedded system - but it might be a "dedicated computer
    system" (I don't know what "zsnes" is).

    --
    Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
    peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

    Peter Bennett, Apr 26, 2005
  8. Maybe I could post snarky and otherwise useless messages on usenet,
    then sit back and enjoy my smug sense of self-worth?

    matt.singerman, Apr 26, 2005
  9. And for extra credit,

    Computer Science is to Embedded Systems as :

    A) Burger flipping is to liberal arts.

    B) Waiting tables is to English.

    C) Landscaping is to PolySci.

    D) Unemployment is to History.

    E) All of the above.

    F) I want to kill myself.

    Bryan Hackney, Apr 26, 2005
  10. matt.singerman

    mackys Guest

    How 'bout http://www.gumstix.com/ ? Dunno how to do TV out, but it
    comes with Linux and apache already loaded. 200 or 400 MHz CPU, costs
    $100-$185, the size of a large pack of gum...

    -Ben

    mackys, Apr 26, 2005
  11. matt.singerman

    Alex Gibson Guest

    Circuit Cellar magazine Philips arm7 lpc2xxx design contest

    http://www.jandspromotions.com/philips2005/kit.html
    http://www.jandspromotions.com/philips2005/rules.htm

    The board they are giving away is a keil mcb2130 without jtag debugger
    http://www.keil.com/mcb2130/

    Nice board(worth US$150) or chips local distributor
    sells the keil board for Aus$272

    compilers

    commerical limited editions
    16KB limit for keil compiler, none for gcc (can select which one to use
    under
    options)
    www.keil.com/arm

    IAR Kickstart edition has a limit of 32KB
    http://www.iar.com/Products/?name=KSDKLPC2138

    Imagecraft
    http://www.imagecraft.com/software/
    45 days then 10KB offer an extension if you use it in the contest and
    chance to
    win a license

    Cross works (gcc + ide)
    http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm

    free compilers

    plain gnu arm
    www.gnuarm.com mac , win or linux + links to resources

    or gnu arm
    http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm.html

    gnu arm + eclipse
    http://www.newmicros.com/download/appnotes/ARM/TiniARM_Dev_Eclipse.pdf
    how to set them up

    I prefer the keil ide + gcc or gcc + eclipse ide

    For programming

    The serial programmer from Philips is easy to use and works well over rs232
    http://www.semiconductors.philips.c...ntrollers/utilities/lpc2000_flash_utility.zip

    the lpc213x chips have a serial bootloader

    links for datasheets
    http://www.semiconductors.philips.c...ntrollers/product_catalog/16_32bit/index.html

    http://www.open-research.org.uk/ARMuC/
    http://www.keil.com/lpc/lpc2100_overview.asp

    Alex Gibson, Apr 26, 2005
  12. matt.singerman

    Paul Burke Guest

    Yes, if you've a bit of Windows or better DOS experience. Get Ecos
    (free) and the book about it (some tens of dollars). Use an old PC as a
    development platform, and enjoy yourself.

    Paul Burke

    Paul Burke, Apr 26, 2005
  13. Hi Ben,

    Thanks for this link, it's actually really neat. After reading over
    the nice (and not-so-nice) comments on this thread, I've realized I may
    be barking up the wrong tree, and am instead going to break out my old
    circuit design books. Assuming I can find them. It's been, oh, eight
    years since I last did anything like that. Thanks, though, for the
    cool link.

    --Matt

    matt.singerman, Apr 26, 2005
  14. IIRC. There's a free version as well.
    http://ecos.sourceware.org/
    http://www.ecoscentric.com/

    Grant Edwards, Apr 26, 2005
  15. ZNES is a super nintendo emulator. If the OP wants to make a portable
    SNES, he's better off buying a GBA and saving the time. As cool as it
    would be to build your own, you've goto to consider the time plus the
    costs of bandwidth from being slahsdotted if it works.

    Magnus McElroy, Apr 26, 2005