    what speed CPU is good value and maybe a bit (or more) overclockable. I
    guess socket 939 so he can upgrade to dual-core one day.

    Thanks folks.

    ~misfit~, Jun 14, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    gimp Guest

    my pick is the MSI neo4 platinum /SLI.
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358

    dunno about cpu, the 2GHz 3200+ with new venice core is a good place to
    start...

    gimp, Jun 15, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    Fishface Guest

    Maybe this will get you in the ballpark:
    http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2426

    Fishface, Jun 15, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Alceryes Guest

    dunno about cpu, the 2GHz 3200+ with new venice core is a good place

    Yea, the performance difference between the Venice and San Diego (512K L2
    vs. 1M L2) is negligible and only serves to show off the Venice as a good
    price for performance chip.

    Alceryes, Jun 29, 2005