    around.

    Thanks,

    Rob Fraser

    Rob Fraser, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Rob Fraser

    Rich Teer Guest

    The 280R is a SPARC-based server, so there's no chance it'll run Windoze
    natively! You could use a Sun PCi card, but given that they've all been
    EOLed, I suggest looking at the Ultra 20, 40 or 24 workstations.
    Umm, Sun Fires are servers. One doesn't put a video card in a server,
    especially one suitable for CAD work. That's what workstations are
    for.

    So, Sun Fire servers for your backend (data storage, etc.), and Ultra
    workstations with nice fast nVidia graphics cards for your desktop CAD
    needs.

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

    Rich Teer, Nov 7, 2007

  3. The SunFire 280R is an older SPARC based rack mount server;
    the 250 (There's a 250 or 220R, couldn't not find a 250R) are
    also SPARC based. Pro/Engineer comes in a SPARC version so that
    works fine (under Solaris)

    Windows XP with AutoCAD will certainly NOT run on SPARC based
    hardware.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Nov 8, 2007