sun 3/50 can't seem to pull anything across tftp

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by tom 'spot' callaway, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. I recently acquired a Sun 3/50M, which I'd like to get running again.
    It passes all of its diagnostic checks, starts a netboot, acquires an
    IP, identifies my tftp server, but never successfully downloads anything
    from /tftpboot. I've put boot images in /tftpboot (named them 0A0A0A09
    and 0A0A0A09.SUN3) but it still can't manage to download it.

    The tftp server is a Red Hat Linux 9 machine, and I've tried several
    different Linux machines, nothing seems to make a difference.

    Any ideas would be welcome, I have to wonder if the Sun3/50 is trying
    to do something odd that the Linux tftp server isn't expecting by
    default.

    Output from Sun 3/50:
    Boot: le(0,0,0)
    Using IP Address 10.10.10.9 = 0A0A0A09
    Booting from tftp server at 10.10.10.101 = 0A0A0A65
    \

    Thanks in advance,

    ~spot

    tom 'spot' callaway, Sep 7, 2003

  2. tom 'spot' callaway

    C. Newport Guest

    Oook - this is a blast from the distant past. ISTR there is a
    simple gotcha but memories fade after a decade or two .....

    You will need an a.out image and you will most probably need to
    strip the first 16 bytes in the same way as a Sun4.

    Try running tcpdump to see what it is asking for.
    I usually do this on a 3rd machine, but beware that you need a hub
    not a switch for this to work.

    FWIW My 4/110 needed a tweak to the linux tftp server to automagically
    prepend /tftpboot/ to the requested filename.

    C. Newport, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Snoop the network traffic. It used to be that Linux tftp was unable
    to support netbooting Suns because they didn't allow the file name request to
    contain a slash in the filename. If you took that test out of tftpd it works.

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Sep 7, 2003
  4. tom 'spot' callaway

    C. Newport Guest

    Nowadays you just need to tweak inetd.conf to call in.tftpd with
    the -s /tftpboot option.

    man in.tftpd is your friend.

    C. Newport, Sep 7, 2003
  5. tom 'spot' callaway

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Last time I tried to tftp boot from a Red Hat Linux 9 server, the
    mac address of the client did not appear in the arp table of the server.
    Try the command arp -a on the server to see if it lists your SUN3. If
    not add the address explicitly (man arp).

    Stefan.

    Stefan Blom, Sep 7, 2003
  6. tom 'spot' callaway wrote:

    |> I recently acquired a Sun 3/50M, which I'd like to get running again.
    |> It passes all of its diagnostic checks, starts a netboot, acquires an
    |> IP, identifies my tftp server, but never successfully downloads anything
    |> from /tftpboot. I've put boot images in /tftpboot (named them 0A0A0A09
    |> and 0A0A0A09.SUN3) but it still can't manage to download it.

    On my boot servers I always needed a symlink from "." to "tftpboot"
    within /tftpboot

    Volker Borchert, Sep 8, 2003