Sun 3510 FC Array Logical Drive Size Limit

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by ChrisQ, Sep 4, 2012.

  1. ChrisQ

    ChrisQ Guest

    Hi,

    Recently aquired a 3510 fc array with a stack of other bits at auction.
    Has dual fc raid controllers, but am using it in single controller mode
    Successfully created a raid 5 device using 4 x 146Gb drives with no
    problem and can newfs and fsck from solaris.

    Fitted 4 x 300Gb drives and tried to create a raid 5, second logical drive,
    from the 4, but the menu comes back with:

    The Maximum Capacity is 512 GB for Controller Support !

    Am I missing something here, or is it a firmware revision issue ?. System
    info from the menu gives me:

    CPU Type │PPC750 │
    │ v│ Total Cache Size │1024MB SDRAM(ECC)│
    │ s│ Firmware Version │3.27R │
    │ v│ Bootrecord Version │1.31H │
    │ v│ FW Upgradability │Rev. C │
    └──│ Serial Number │8011092 │
    │ Battery Backup Unit │Present │
    │ Base Board Rev. ID │0 │
    │ Base Board ID │53 │
    │ ID of NVRAM Defaults │327R 3510 v2.63 │
    │ Controller Position │Slot A

    Any ideas ?...

    Regards,

    Chris

    ChrisQ, Sep 4, 2012

  2. ChrisQ

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    I've never used the 3510. Is it possible to use it for raw disk
    access, and use ZFS for the RAID instead? I know one of the boxes was
    available in either JBOD or hardware RAID format -- but required an
    exchange of a large plugin at the back. (This was a SCA-SCSI system,
    not FC.)
    Is it possible that the larger array needs a larger buffer RAM
    on the controller board?

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 5, 2012

  3. ChrisQ

    ChrisQ Guest

    Hi Don,

    Thanks. The array has two fibre controllers, only one of which is being
    used to a single host. I've been using zfs for raid for some time and it
    works pretty well and is much less hassle than the older meta* / disksuite
    series of commands and functions. The 3510 does h/w raid, which i've
    wanted to evaluate for some time.

    I've read the docs and tried various things from the rs232 / telnet
    session to
    the firmware and am pretty sure that it must be a firmware issue. The
    current f/w in the box is pretty old afaics and there may have been limits
    on early versions for whatever reason. The controllers are at 3.27R, whereas
    later versions were in the high 4's. There's probably a patch that applies.

    Assuming that this is the case and you don't have a support contract, what's
    the current method for navigating the Oracle site to get at the firmware
    for
    older systems ?. In the old sun days, one could have an account at no
    cost for
    access to this stuff, but can't see a way through the present Oracle maze.

    You can pm if required at: syseng at gfsys dot co dot uk...

    Regards,

    Chris

    ChrisQ, Sep 5, 2012
  4. ChrisQ

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]
    Yes -- I really like (and do use) ZFS. Hardware RAID I've never
    trusted, because if the hardware controller dies, and I'm not in a
    position to get a replacement, I lose all the data.
    I'm afraid that I have no idea whether it is possible. I
    suspect that it is not unless you have a service contract -- and to get
    that, you have to either buy the hardware which the service contract
    applies to, or have the receipts from your purchase directly from Sun.

    This was a serious problem for a friend, who works for a (US)
    Government agency where the computers were bought for them by a
    contractor, as were the licenses for the Oracle database programs. They
    really had a long shouting match before they could get the support
    contract. :)

    Oracle is *not* hobby user friendly, unlike the Sun that was.
    They also want you to download the later Solaris 10 versions *only* for
    a one month evaluation, and if you want to use it after that, you should
    get a service contract. :-( So -- I am sticking with the last pre-Oracle
    Solaris 10 which I got from Sun -- who actually sent me the DVD-ROMs for
    free. :) Since I also have not gotten any hardware new enough to
    require a newer version of Solaris 10, I'll live with the situation.
    Since I don't have a magic secret way to divulge, no need to
    use my the secret decoder ring on your address above. :)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 6, 2012
  5. Plus, a hardware RAID system is really just a tiny computer on a
    stick. With small resources, running either linux or some custom OS.
    Solaris with ZFS will have a lot more resources available for the RAID
    system. It'll have better logging (hardware RAID frequently has no
    better way to notify you of a problem than flashing a light).
    Solaris will have better recovery.

    Doug McIntyre, Sep 6, 2012
    No.

    Torsten Kirschner, Jan 3, 2014