Sun 6500 Server boot problem

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Mark, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi guys. I saw someone else has a Sun Enterprise 6500 machine, and so do I
    as well. My problem though is that I get this weird cryptic error message
    when I try and boot from the CDROM via the command: "boot cdrom -s" for
    single user mode:

    Multiple version of I/O Type 4 proms detected.
    Use 'update-proms' to update the older boards
    Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s
    Boot device: /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@6,0:f
    File and args: -s
    SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-05 [UNIX(R)
    System V Release 4.0]
    Copyright (c) 1983-1997, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    panic[cpu0]/thread=0x10404040: recursive rw_enter,
    lp=10417348 wwwh=10404044 wai
    ters=0 thread=10404040
    rebooting...
    Resetting...
    Software Power ON

    See the above "panic[cpu0]" thingie. Basically, what happens is that when I
    try and boot from the CDROM, it just simply won't boot of off even the
    CDROM. It goes through a whole bunch of tests, then it just won't boot; it
    stays in OpenBoot. The above panic message leads me to believe that there's
    a bad CPU, but I've also read on the Web that that could mean anything from
    a bad file system, to a bad memory stick. Since I'm merely trying to boot
    off of the CDROM and it won't, it makes me think that I have a bad CPU,
    specifically, the board number zero with CPU number zero is bad. It'd be
    somewhat more of a mystery if in fact that the machine would in fact boot
    off of the CDROM, but since it won't even do that at all, can I conclude
    that one of the CPUs (or the board itself) is bad? I also have a Sun
    Enterprise 6000, and I can indeed boot off of the CDROM (disk with Solaris
    install on it), which is another reason why I believe I have a major
    hardware problem.

    Thank you in advance.

    Mark

    Mark, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Mark

    CJT Guest

    Is there a particular reason you're running with multiple versions of
    the PROM?

    CJT, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hey Elias. Thank you so much for the information. I'll definitely check
    into everything you said. Thanks again!

    Mark

    Mark, Aug 6, 2003