Sun display flickering on SunBlade 2000 and Sun Ultra 60 Stations

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by I have a question..., May 30, 2004.

  1. Hi!

    Some of you may have already encourtered the following problem :

    on my SunBlade 2000 and SunUltra 60 workstations, equiped with
    20" CRT displays, I experience sporadic vibrations of the whole
    image on the screen. The vibrations consist in horizontal
    deviations of the odd lines relatively to the even lines.

    For examples, and 6 x 6 pixel area of the screen that should
    look like :

    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb

    (where "a" represents a pixel on an odd screen line and "b"
    an pixel on an even one)

    rapidly (with a > 10 Hz frequency) varies between :

    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb

    and

    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    aaaaaa
    bbbbbb

    I would like to insist on the fact that this problem happens
    on the whole screen at a time (the 6x6 example was just to save space
    on this message).

    By trial and error, I discovered that I could reproduce this
    flickering by writing a simple program that allocates chuncks
    of memory of a fixed size. An implementation in pseudo-C would be :

    while (1)
    malloc(1000 * sizeof(float));

    When I launch that program, the flickering really prevents
    anyone from working on the machine, as the amplitude of the
    horizontal bias from the two extreme positions shown above
    nearly reaches 1 millimeter.

    I have launched my program on several Sun Ultra 60 stations,
    and this problem is perfectly reproductible.

    So, I would like to know if some of you have already been
    through this, and if you found an explanation. Sun would
    not admit that it's a bug of their motherboards. But I would
    think it is.

    Thank you for your answers !

    Jery P.

    I have a question..., May 30, 2004

  2. You don't give a lot of detail on the exact software configurations
    of the system:

    specific hardware configuration of the U60/SunBlade 2000 systems
    - framebuffer type
    - make model of monitor

    specific software configuration
    - OS revision & relevant patches (core OS, X server,
    framebuffer)
    - framebuffer configuration (fbconfig -prconf)

    I've certainly send both my old U60 and current SB2000 through their
    paces and never seen anything remotely like what you are seeing.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Jun 1, 2004