Sun Fire 280R/ Sun Blade 2000 differences

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by DoN. Nichols, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. DoN. Nichols

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    I have a Sun Fire 280R, which uses the same system board as the
    Sun Blade 2000 (and the 1000). However, there are some differences
    (other than the housing).

    The 280R uses drives 0 and 1 internally, while the 2000 uses
    drives 1 and 2.

    The 1000 has a pair of firewire ports, while the 280R has them
    covered by a welded steel cap, and the OS (Solaris 10) does not seem to
    notice the ports.

    So -- two questions:

    1) *Why* is the firewire disabled in the 280R? Just not needed for
    the intended purpose of the machine?

    2) How does it *know* to disable it?

    Does it base it on the drive numbers?

    Does it base it on the presenced or absence of the RSC board?

    Does it base it on something in the different power cable to the
    Fibre Channel drive backplane?

    Does it perhaps base it on the presence or absence of a Creator
    3D framebuffer? (There are two slots for them on the 280R, but
    the primary one does not have a matching opening for the card
    bracket, and the secondary one is used by the RSC card.

    None of this is really critical to know -- but curiosity prompts
    me to ask.

    Thanks,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Jul 27, 2007