sun nvram repair of a M48T59 (SUN Ultra)

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by David Reichelt, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. David Reichelt, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Hi,

    What kind of Ultra?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Aug 7, 2007

  3. David Reichelt

    gerryt Guest

    If you have to ask i suggest you collect some bottles (save up)
    and buy a new MK48T02!

    gerryt, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Ultra 2 Enterprise

    David Reichelt, Aug 8, 2007
  5. David Reichelt

    Bill Janssen Guest

    I bought a new MK48T02 and it didn't work. So I performed surgery and
    replaced the
    battery in the old MK48T02. Don't understand why the new one didn't work.

    Bill K7NOM

    Bill Janssen, Aug 8, 2007
  6. David Reichelt

    gerryt Guest

    Well you are the ieee guy : > Maybe that battery was dead??
    Could you do any Forth on it?
    Had to order an "equivalent" part as the chip is no longer being made.
    Normally this would not be an issue but it did nothing the new one.
    It has to be an exact replacement. Even the smallest differences in
    internal
    timing can make the NVRAM useless to SPARCs...
    Im going to assune you got a replacement chip otherwise I cannot
    see why it wouldnt work either.

    gerryt, Aug 9, 2007
  7. Any M48T02 manufactured before 2000 will work. Manufactured after this
    date will fail the register test as one register "7F", I believe,
    will not allow writes to it in the self test. Other than that it does
    work. Therefore I've had to hack the old chips and solder in new
    batteries.

    wallymcdoogle, Aug 9, 2007