    welcome as well.

    Greetings

    Roble

    Roble Mumin, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Roble Mumin

    C. Newport Guest

    The answer is simple - NO WAY.
    The SunRay is a dedicated machine which talks a proprietory protocol
    to the Sun Ray server software.

    C. Newport, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Roble Mumin

    Steven Hill Guest

    The answer is simple - NO WAY.
    I thought it was a standard X term type thing, in which case he could
    maybe do some sort of slxt type thing, if there is a handy linux box to
    net boot it. (Like you can so with an ELC)

    Steven Hill, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Roble Mumin

    Greg Andrews Guest

    Nope, not a standard Xterm. It's a fancy screen and keyboard, like
    an X Windows version of a VT100. No Open Boot Prom, and it doesn't
    run an OS like Solaris or Linux. It loads firmware from the server
    that's been digitally signed by Sun.

    -Greg

    Greg Andrews, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Roble Mumin

    Roble Mumin Guest

    Thanks for the Info! That is certainly enough to make sure i don't get
    bothered with it again. :)

    Greetings

    Roble

    Roble Mumin, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Roble Mumin

    C. Newport Guest

    If you want to play Xterms you can grab a Sun Javastation from Ebay
    and netboot it from the Splack Linux images.

    C. Newport, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Roble Mumin

    Pete Young Guest

    This works really well for terms, but the 'X' bit is a bit more
    tricky. I never succeeded in finding an Xserver that ran satisfactorily
    and lost the will to live whilst waiting for the Javastation to compile
    XFree 86. Is there anything in the distribution yet? (or shall I just,
    heresy, stick a mini-itx board in the Javastation case and put Debian
    on it?

    Pete

    Pete Young, Aug 5, 2003
  8. Roble Mumin

    C. Newport Guest

    The current image works fine with X on MrCoffee or Krupps, I do not
    have any other variants for testing. If you have a problem I could
    let you have a copy of my configs. The only current issue is the
    sound stuff which has serious kernel bogosity on Krupps.

    You need to use fvwm because KDE etc are too bloated for the
    available memory space. I have not implemented swap because
    swapping over a notwork is going to be painfully slow.

    C. Newport, Aug 5, 2003
  9. Roble Mumin

    Pete Young Guest

    Thanks Chris. I've grabbed a copy of the latest tftp files and
    the a.out 2.4.20 kernel, and hopefully I will get the chance to
    try it again before very long.

    I'm not convinced the sound stuff will ever work on Krups javastations.
    Even when I was running JavaOS on one, it didn't work.
    Noted. Thanks for the advice.

    Regards,

    Pete

    Pete Young, Aug 6, 2003
  10. There's rumors that Sun Ray Server might be ported to Solaris x86.
    Ask your mate @ sun.de to confirm.

    John

    John D Groenveld, Aug 12, 2003