    Corey Koltz
    8-Bit Classics
    http://www.8bitclassics.com

    8-Bit Classics, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Any Sun type 4,5 or 6 type kbd+mouse will work
    Beware however that the IPC is a serious dog, with a mono
    only frame buffer and braindead Sun4c CPU.
    You can upgrade the memory to a whole 48Mb using 3 sets of 4
    SIMMs of the 36 pin 9 chip 4Mb variety. These are rather scarce.

    They should have paid you to take it away. The money that you
    will spend, even on EBay, will buy you a much better machine.
    You will need to find a copy of Solaris 2.6 or earlier and a
    Sun-compatible externel SCSI CDROM drive with 512 byte sectoring
    to install the OS. Many older CD drives have a 512/2048 jumper
    to set this.

    Splack Linux 8.0 will run if you want Linux rather than Solaris.
    The latest Splack 10.0 beta will not load, but this will
    probably get fixed in the next week or so.

    Chris Newport, Nov 27, 2004

  3. 8-Bit Classics

    Bill Janssen Guest

    If you need some 4Mb memory I have some. Very cheep too. Send Email if
    its needed.

    Bill K7NOM

    Bill Janssen, Nov 27, 2004
  4. 8-Bit Classics

    Eric Edwards Guest

    Fortunately, he bought at a thrift shop so he didn't pay shipping.
    There are no 32 bit Sparc's anymore with an Ebay selling price high
    enough to cover shipping. I got an unexpected bargain this spring when
    I bought an SS20 for $20, shipping included. The bid was not
    extraordinary. What was extraordinary was discovering that the seller
    had spent $26 sending it to me. Needless to say, I'm not going to
    bother trying to sell the SS10 it replaced.

    Eric Edwards, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Thanks for the posts, mainly I bought it because to me it was unique.
    I collect classic 8-Bit systems and newer and was a interesting find.
    So I would imagine it would be more powerful than a Atari
    800/Commodore 64 :).

    Actually I would like a Qube2 to setup a personal server, but still go
    for a bit on eBay.

    8-Bit Classics, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Chris Newport wrote:

    |> Splack Linux 8.0 will run if you want Linux rather than Solaris.
    |> The latest Splack 10.0 beta will not load, but this will
    |> probably get fixed in the next week or so.

    Is the performance problem that Linux is said to have had with sun4c fixed?

    Volker Borchert, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Eric Edwards wrote:

    |> I bought an SS20 for $20, shipping included. The bid was not
    |> extraordinary. What was extraordinary was discovering that the seller
    |> had spent $26 sending it to me. Needless to say, I'm not going to
    |> bother trying to sell the SS10 it replaced.

    Buyer pays shipping?

    Volker Borchert, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Partially, the severity of the problem has always been
    greatly exagerated anyway.
    Some improvements have been made, but the underlying issues
    in context switching will probably never be fixed unless
    someone volunteers to do the work.
    Sun4c is a long way down the priority list for the sparc32 kernel
    maintainers and a volunteer is needed to dedicate a week or
    two of programming skills to change the context switching code to do things
    in a similar way to BSD.

    Chris Newport, Nov 28, 2004
  9. 8-Bit Classics

    Eric Edwards Guest

    You mean angry buyer pays shipping? Clued buyers factor the shipping
    cost into their bid. If the value is less than the shipping cost, they
    don't bid. The unclued will be most unhappy when they find out that
    their $5 bid has incurred a $26 shipping charge. Hardly seems worth the
    effort.

    Eric Edwards, Nov 28, 2004
  10. When buying, first, if the equipment is worth it and weighs enough to
    justify the cost, I will buy it. Now if it actually costs $5 to ship
    and they want $26, that is another problem. I will either contact the
    buyer and say I will pay actual shipping only if they agree, won't
    bid, or buy it and pay the shipping if I really want the item.

    But say if you get a great deal on I don't know, a NeXT Cube w/
    Monitor for $5 but normally goes for $50. But shipping itself cost
    $50, I wouldn't really be upset, because most people would pay that
    amount plus the final bid at $50.

    8-Bit Classics, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Eric Edwards wrote:

    |> You mean angry buyer pays shipping? Clued buyers factor the shipping
    |> cost into their bid. If the value is less than the shipping cost, they
    |> don't bid.

    To a clued buyer, it does not matter whether shipping cost is more than
    the value or not, it only matters whether the total is what they want to
    spend. If someone really wants an SS10, s/he will be prepared to pay what
    it takes.

    The situation might be different in the U.S. than here in Europe. From
    your and other postings, it seems that in the U.S. anything pre-Ultra is
    about free for the taking, whereas in Europe, people seem to think Sun
    made the cases of solid silver or even gold.

    Right now, I'm satisfied with what I have got. But I remember stuffing
    LOTS of marks and euros down USPS's and others' throats to get things
    shipped from the U.S. just because I couldn't find them here or they'd
    have been more expensive than shipped from the U.S.

    Volker Borchert, Nov 29, 2004
  12. 8-Bit Classics

    Eric Edwards Guest

    The value *is* what the buyer is prepared to pay. If that is less than
    the shipping charge, there can't be a sale. The buyer would have to bid
    a negative value.
    You valued the unit enough to cover your bid and shipping. There's not
    thing wrong with that. But when market value drops below shipping costs,
    those kind of people become hard to find.

    For what's it's worth, there have been several recent auctions where low
    end Ultras have sold for less than $20.

    Eric Edwards, Nov 29, 2004