    of 3.52TB seems ideal. Does it support daisy chaining more 3310s to
    increase capacity?

    Thanks

    Vikas Agnihotri, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Vikas Agnihotri

    Elias Guest

    Yes, you can attach up to 2 JBOD (non RAID) units to a 3310 that has a
    controller (or controllers).

    With one RAID unit and 2 JBODs you would have 36 disk drives, 12 per
    tray, of up to 146GB each.

    Aside from the amount of storage do you have any performance
    requirements? What type of workload will you be putting on it?

    Elias

    Elias, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Yes! It works!
    With your needs, and the server you are using, try to afford the 3510 instead.
    With the 3510 you get double the performance and mpxIO load-balancing/
    path failover capability.

    When you grow the 3310 beyond one JBOD you loose host connections, and
    'there can be only one' after that.

    Regards
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Oct 7, 2004
  4. The only problem with 3510 is its price...
    As for performance, it will not double for a single node, however for a
    whole solution it would be better of course. What I mean is that with
    3310, you have 320MBytes, whereas with FC you have 2 x 2Gbits
    (200MBytes) or 400MBytes per host (anybody, please correct me if I'm
    wrong). So per host you have a performance increase of 80MBytes/sec. But
    with 3310 you are limited to two hosts per array (in redundant
    configuration), with 3310 you can go up to 4. So if you count overall
    performance (assuming all nodes write constantly to the storage):
    3310:
    2 x 320MB = 740MB/sec
    3510:
    4 x 400MB = 1600MB/sec (and this is indeed two times faster than 3310)

    Rytis Sileika, Oct 8, 2004
  5. Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun.hardware

    Fredrik Lundholm, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Hm. I am not interested in JBOD, I need RAID10 for fault tolerance and
    performance.

    Given that I need RAID and I plan to attach it to only one host, what is
    the maximum amount of storage I can get? If I start with one 3310 unit,
    how can I expand it later? What is the max expansion possible without
    sacrificing performance?
    This is going to be used only for Oracle 9iR2 database files. Part of a
    growing data warehouse. Also plan to use Oracle's pluggable tablespace
    feature for "near-online" availability.

    [I know that Oracle 10g has automatic storage management (ASM) built in
    so when we upgrade to 10g, I *can* use the 3310s as JBOD and have Oracle
    take care of all the striping, mirroring, etc]

    Thanks

    Vikas Agnihotri, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Thats nice to know. I read that recent Sun storage products are a result
    of many alliances Sun has made with other lesser-known storage vendors
    and is just rebranding/marketing them under the Sun StorEdge name.

    Have these 3310s and 3510s (Workgroup storage) line been on the market
    for very long? What are their RAS, MTTR, etc numbers? What kind of disks
    do they use? How are the hardware RAID controllers? Are they any
    better than the old A1000 array which I have currently?

    My only concern with the 3510 is that it has a FC and not SCSI
    interface. I dont have any experience with FC and SCSI just "feels" more
    comfortable and familiar. Has FC matured to the point of being used in
    mission criticial, large volume systems?

    Not sure what you mean by that? Can you please elaborate?
    Well, I dont plan to connect more than one host to the the arrays. So
    this is not an issue.

    Isnt 740MB/sec a little on the slower side? Maybe I dont have my facts
    right, but is that the state of the art in storage technology these days?

    Thanks

    Vikas Agnihotri, Oct 9, 2004
  8. One more question:

    We plan to implement a SAN in the near future. How do these arrays 3310,
    3510, etc integrate with a SAN? Is the 3310 out because it doesnt have a
    FC interface? Would the 3510 with FC plug in cleanly with any SAN that
    we implement?

    Thanks

    Vikas Agnihotri, Oct 9, 2004
  9. 3510 will integrate.
    3310 Will not.

    Fredrik Lundholm, Oct 10, 2004
  10. The 3310 and 3510 with hardware RAID controllers can be expanded with
    JBOD arrays like an old A3500 making it to appear as one large array
    with >12 disks.
    Don't get tangled up in MB/s figures.

    First of all the 3310 is Ultra 160 SCSI based while the 3510 is 2GBit FC.
    If you really need performance you can connect up to 8 FC cards from one
    server and Solaris will stripe the load across the cables to a 3510.

    The 3510 is twice as fast as a 3310 even for just one host.
    The 3310 is 3-4 times faster that an A1000.
    The 3310 will give you better availability than a A1000. The 3510 will
    give you even better availability.

    You can expand a 3510 with a total of 8 trays with good performance.
    You can only add one extra tray to the 3310 without loosing performance.

    /Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Oct 10, 2004
  11. Vikas Agnihotri

    Scott Howard Guest

    And this is why they aren't officially called JBODs...

    The SE3310 is available in 3 basic configurations.

    * A JBOD. 12 disks, no RAID, no controllers.
    * A RAID unit. Same box as a JBOD, only with 1 or 2 RAID controllers
    installed.
    * An Expansion Unit. Exactly the same as a JBOD, only attached to a RAID
    unit in order to extend the number of disks it can address (up to 36 disks
    total).

    In practice, a JBOD and an Expansion unit are exactly the same thing - the
    naming difference is just to avoid the confusion above (ie, the fact that
    an expansion unit does RAID, and thus isn't a JBOD)

    So to answer your question, yes, you can extend the one unit up to 36
    disks by adding one or two Expansion units.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Oct 10, 2004
  12. Vikas Agnihotri

    Scott Howard Guest

    The 3310 is SCSI, and thus not SAN-friendly.
    The 3510 is FC-AL and supports SAN fully. I've configured a number of
    them in SANs, and they work perfectly.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Oct 10, 2004
  13. Hm, after reading all your responses and the hits at

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sun+3310&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

    [where incidentally Frederick, Scott and the same gents who responded
    here have participated], seems like the 3310 is out! Too many strange
    hardware, firmware, terminator, blah, blah problems. One Guy Dallaire
    and Martin Paul seem to have had the most problems with it!

    More so since I want SAN-friendly storage.

    So, I guess the 3510 it is. Anyone out there have anything good or bad
    to say about the 3510's reliability, works right out of the box,
    performs as advertised? Or not?

    Also, my production host is a V880 while the host system I would be
    testing on is a Enterprise 450. Is this a good idea? The 3510 does
    support both but I wouldnt want to get a warm and fuzzy testing on the
    E450 for 2 months and then have issues when I re-attach to a V880? Any
    comments?

    Thanks

    Vikas Agnihotri, Oct 10, 2004
  14. Vikas Agnihotri

    Scott Howard Guest

    The 3310 did have a bit of a checkered start (as did the 3510, but to a
    much lesser extent), but these issues have mostly/all resolved in the later
    firmware releases for them both.

    If you do get either a SE3310/3510 (or for anyone that already have one)
    it's critical you upgrade it to the latest firmware ASAP.

    Scott.

    Scott Howard, Oct 11, 2004