Sun StorEdge 3310 redundancy/failover

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by jmiklo, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. jmiklo

    jmiklo Guest

    Hi,
    for some application running on Solaris we needed to purchase Sun StorEdge
    3310. It has 2 SCSI controllers and 5 disks (2disks x2 for mirror, and one
    for hot spare).
    Now we'd like to test redundancy of this storage config.
    Are we allowed to physically detach disk so we can observer 5th disk used ?
    I'd like to be sure that in case of disaster failover will work fine (either
    with failed disk, or failed controller).
    How could I test it so we can be sure ?
    We tested failovering to standby scsi controller, with following commands:
    sccli> show redundancy

    sccli> fail primary

    failover to standby controller takes more that a minute and during this time
    writing to directory where storage disk is mounted is not possible. Is this
    normal or should it take much shorter time ?

    thanks a lot,
    jmiklo

    jmiklo, Nov 7, 2005

  2. jmiklo

    Scott Howard Guest

    It's not really recommended, but it won't break anything.
    No. It should happen within less than a second. Not sure what would cause
    it to take so long for the failover.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Nov 8, 2005