Sun StorEdge 711

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Patata Kid, Jan 29, 2012.

  1. Patata Kid

    Patata Kid Guest

    Hi all,
    I do not know if this is the right group, anyway I'm planning to buy a
    used SCSI StorEdge 711 on eBay to play with it.
    I'd like to put six 72 GB HDs in it, and build a ZFS file system, but I do
    not know how Solaris "sees" the discs.

    Is the entire StorEdge seen as only one big disc?,... or maybe the Solaris
    OS sees 6 different discs?
    Can someone tell me something?

    Thank you very much.

    Best regards.

    Mauro.

    P.S. I'm running a quite old version of Solaris,... here is my cat
    /etc/release:

    Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC
    Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    Assembled 16 August 2007

    Patata Kid, Jan 29, 2012

  2. Patata Kid

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    I can't find 711 in the FEH, but I guess that it is one of the
    MultiPack boxes. 6 (or 12 for some models) disks slide in the side of
    the box, after removing the side panel.

    O.K. With a quick check on eBay, yes that is what it is.
    Six individual disks. SCSI IDs are assigned by the slot (and a
    switch on the back for the 6-slot ones. 12-slot has them all fixed,
    with a weird pattern which actually makes sense. 0 and 1 are skipped,
    as is 6 (internal disks and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive, and 7 (the SCSI host
    ID), so you have 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. The 12-slot
    will do fine with 1" high SCA drives, but won't accept the 1.6" high
    ones, while the 6-slot one will accept either size. I forget the exact
    pattern with the 6-slot ones, but it will be listed on the slots for
    both positions of the switch.

    At least one eBay auction (likely the one you are following)
    describes it as "JBOD" which stands for "Just a Box Of Disks" -- no RAID
    hardware in it.

    If you have kids around, you may want to get the key which is
    offered in another auction, which allows you to prevent someone opening
    the side and pulling out disks.

    You will need to get six Sun SPUD drive carriers to support the
    discs as they go into the box. Here is an auction with an example:

    eBay # 190631028826

    You will want button head torx screws (6-32) with rather short
    extension to avoid dragging on the guides in the 711.

    And if you already have drives with spuds, check whether the
    drives have the heat shields (like in auction # 350526765287 ) on the
    bottom. If so, *don't* put these drives in the bottom-most two slots.
    You'll never get them back out. They hang up on the edge of the box.
    So, remove the heat shields if present. They are fine in most other Sun
    products, but not here.

    The rack-mount D1000/A1000 can be either, depending on the
    plugged in interface card. I forget which is which, one has built-in
    RAID and the other has the discs brought out individually, split between
    two interfaces.
    No problem. I've used those same housings for a ZFS array on:

    Solaris 10 11/06

    and now have 14 fibre-channel drives in two chassis on the same system
    and OS -- a Sun Blade 280R, FWIW.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Jan 29, 2012

  3. The 711 box is just a SCSI backplane. It doesn't have any raid system
    or anything else in it. You put a disk in slot 1, it shows up as
    target 1 on the system (ie. c8t1d0s0 or whatever controller # your HBA
    shows up as). Same with slot 2, slot 3, etc. etc.

    It should work fine for doing ZFS on.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 30, 2012
  4. Patata Kid

    ChrisQ Guest

    The 711 is a very usefull little box and the 12 slot version is pretty high
    density in footprint terms. I keep one in the lab for general disk
    formatting
    and testing and they work fine with just about any system with a scsi port.

    There's also a fibre channel version, (711fc) and have been looking for one
    of those for years, but they seem to be a rare beast indeed.

    One thing to note about some of the early sun drive arrays is that they
    are hv
    differential, not the lv, which won't work with standard scsi
    controllers, so
    some care needed when buying. The connectors are the same, just to
    confuse the
    unwary...

    Regards,

    Chris

    ChrisQ, Jan 31, 2012
  5. Patata Kid

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    I would *love* to have one or two of those. A really nice
    companion to my Sun Blade 2000 and Sun Fire 280R machines. But the
    rack-mount Eurologic drive racks work well, too, and are a better fit
    for the Sun Fire 280R, which is also rack-mount.

    I presume the 711fc is both fibre channel on the external
    interface and the internal drives? If so, it will make it worth while
    looking inside any 711 boxen found at hamfests. Are they the 12-slot or
    the 6-slot version -- or both?
    Yes -- the A1000/D1000 are examples of those.

    Good luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Feb 1, 2012
  6. The Eurologic ones are easily found as NetAPP DS14 drive shelves on
    eBay for very little ching.
    They have SATA to FC and FC to FC versions available.

    Anybody know whatever happened to Eurologic though? Oh I search and
    see Adaptec bought them. That was an instant dealth knell, wasn't it.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 1, 2012
  7. Patata Kid

    ChrisQ Guest

    The netapp drive boxes are nicely engineered, but the power supplies are
    ridiculously inefficient. I have DS14 and DS16 boxes here and even with
    only 8 drives installed, the power consumption at 240v line is ~ 200 watts.
    With 16 drives fitted, this rises to ~240w. That's with a single psu online.
    It's slightly worse with both online. How they manage to lose so many watts
    powering up 16 drives beats me. The 711 fully loaded with 12 drives looks
    like ~100 watts, which is more like it, but the downside is that scsi
    drives are far more expensive than fc.

    The worst offender i've seen is the A5100 box from Sun, which measured
    400w with no drives fitted at all :-(. Maybe that's why some of the
    older kit
    is now so cheap...

    Regards,

    Chris

    ChrisQ, Feb 1, 2012
  8. Patata Kid

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Nice! I had not looked recently.
    The SATA to FC sound really attractive, but those are still
    pretty steep. It would allow me to fill the array with *new* drives,
    unlike the FC ones, where the prices for new are still quite steep -- if
    you can find them. I could just go to Microcenter for the SATA drives.
    I'm afraid so.

    Thanks,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Feb 2, 2012
  9. Patata Kid

    zenxyzzy Guest

    i've got one of the 711fc's - it's got a gbic, which i've swapped for hssdc, and it has a 6 drive FC backplane. JBOD, no raid hardware (which I like), since ZFS does a great job if you have enough memory. also, the box handles 15k rpm drives with ease.

    took me an age to track it down, though. they are not easy to find. i paid $300.

    zenxyzzy, Apr 6, 2012