    A sas disk of 300Gb from another vendor has a chance to work?

    thanks for reply,

    gerard

    jdh13, Nov 13, 2006

  2. jdh13

    Frank Cusack Guest

    any sas or sata disk will work

    Frank Cusack, Nov 13, 2006

  3. As long as it is a 2.5" disk as the ordinary 3.5" disks do not fit.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Can you please share some of the manufacturer's name of such 300GB sas
    disk which fits in 2.5" cabinet? Just a thought, could you manage to
    get the job done with that?

    Raqueeb Hassan, Nov 13, 2006
  5. jdh13

    Frank Cusack Guest

    The 3.5" disk I pulled from mine seemed to be an ordinary 3.5" disk.

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Nov 13, 2006
  6. jdh13

    Frank Cusack Guest

    eh, sorry, i was thinking t1000! yeah, t2000 only takes 2.5" disks.

    So to re-answer the question, yes any hard drive will work, but no one
    makes a 2.5" sas disk > 73gb. HP claims to have a 146GB but good luck
    getting one. The largest sata 2.5" drive is 120GB.

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Nov 13, 2006
  7. jdh13

    Trinean Guest

    anybody knows if it is possible to put large capacity disks in T2000,
    I don't know how a non-Sun disk would behave, but it looks like the Ultra 45
    takes 146.8 GB 15000 RPM SAS disks.
    This should easily replace the 73 GB 10000 RPM SAS disks that come with the
    system.
    The faster RPM may even improve performance.

    I'm not sure if SATA would work in a T2000, but the largest internal SATA
    disk Sun has listed for desktops or servers is 250 GB.
    Up to 500 GB SATA disks are listed for storage arrays.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Nov 13, 2006
  8. jdh13

    Frank Cusack Guest

    The ultra45 takes 3.5" disks.
    And you can get Seagate 750GB SATA disks. But these are all 3.5".

    The T2000 takes 2.5" disks.

    -frank

    Frank Cusack, Nov 13, 2006
  9. jdh13

    AaronT Guest

    146Gb 2.5" SAS disks shouldn't be too far off, i think one manufacturer
    (seagate) has them already, but i can't see anywhere that sells them.

    AaronT, Nov 14, 2006
  10. jdh13

    Rick Jones Guest

    Looks like HP might for some of its kit:

    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12244_div/12244_div.html

    I suspect that a web search for something like "146GB 2.5 SAS" might
    find other hits besides HP.

    Whether they would be "supported" in a T2000, I've no idea.

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Nov 14, 2006
  11. jdh13

    jdh13 Guest

    an excellent article to understand sas versus sata:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/07/going_the_sas_storage_way/

    and now, i know why sun has chosen 2.5" instead of 3.5" in T2000:
    "At the same time, 2.5" drives consume clearly less than half the energy
    that any 3.5" drive requires. When it comes to performance per watt
    (I/Os per Watt), the 2.5" form factor delivers very good results."

    thanks to all replies

    gerard

    jdh13, Nov 15, 2006