    Jul 22 09:20:30 Sherman inetd[155]: [ID 965992 daemon.error] pop/tcp:
    unknown service

    thanks for a clue.

    Mooky Mooksgill, Jul 22, 2003

  2. other than this, the machine is connected to a network and a dumb
    terminal.
    it is unreachable on the network. the console is a null-modem serial
    connection from a windows machine - which does get switched off. could
    the problem be happening then?

    when i turn the win machine back on and console in i see:

    {0} ok

    i type - go
    Jul 22 21:16:00 Sherman hme: SUNW,hme0 : Internal Transceiver
    Selected.
    Jul 22 21:16:00 Sherman hme: SUNW,hme0 : 10 Mbps Half-Duplex Link
    Up

    Password:

    i'm prompted for a password - it doesn't say for who...

    this is the state i find the computer in after leaving it on for a few
    hours. i do logout before turning off my console machine.

    Mooky Mooksgill, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Mooky Mooksgill

    Greg Andrews Guest

    Perhaps. More likely it halts when the Windows machine goes into
    sleep mode.

    See the man page for the kbd command, and the "alternate" entry
    in the /etc/default/kbd file.

    -Greg

    Greg Andrews, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Please let me know what you come up with, I've come across the same dilema.

    Mario

    Mario D'Angelo, Jul 30, 2003