Sun Ultra 30 Creator 3D Graphics Workstation

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by ninj, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. ninj

    ninj Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I think you guys are the experts on this thing. I'm no computer expert but
    I the app
    i'll be using runs on this machine.

    Just bought a second hand Sun Ultra 30 machine for some fluid dynamics
    analysis. The currently
    installed GUI is gnome, and the my application is motif. I have a full set
    of Solaris 9 CD media
    kit. If I turn it off, put the the install CD, will it reinstall the OS?
    Will it automatically
    see the other HDD? Btw, can I use PC hard disks to for this machine? I'd
    love to expand my
    storage.

    Thanks in advance to each and everyone of you.

    Regards,

    CPU/Cache: 250MHz 64-bit UltraSPARC-II (1MB Cache)
    Memory: 640MB (16 DIMM Slots, 2 GB total)
    Disks: 2 x 9GB HDD
    CD-ROM: One Internal 12X SCSI CDROM Drive
    Video: Creator3D (501-4172)
    Interfaces: 2 Serial, 1 Parallel, 10/100 Ethernet connection
    PCI: Four full-size PCI slots compliant with PCI specification version
    2.1; three slots operating at 33 MHz, 32-or 64-bit data bus width, 5 volt;
    one slot operating at 33 or 66 MHz, 32-or 64-bit data bus width, 3.3 volt
    SCSI: 40-MB/sec UltraSCSI (SCSI-3) (synchronous), 2 channels
    Audio: 16-bit audio, 8 kHz to 48 kHz

    ninj, Aug 8, 2004

  2. ninj

    Dave Uhring Guest

    You almost certainly have CDE installed, too.

    $ du -sk /usr/dt
    182189 /usr/dt

    At the login screen click on the session button.
    You can find most of the information you need here:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U30/U30.html

    The U30 uses 80 pin SCA SCSI drives, which your PC may or may not use.

    Dave Uhring, Aug 8, 2004

  3. You don't need to reinstall unless you want to. Your account may pull
    up Gnome by default, but you can change that with your session login.
    Also, frameworks under X can all be run under whatever window
    manager/environment you want to run all concurrently, so I'd expect
    that if you ran up your app, you'd see it exactly as its supposed to
    be displayed right within gnome. Since the window manager standards
    have moved on a bit with no updates to Motif/CDE, the converse isn't
    quite true. While you can run a gnome app under CDE, it might not look
    quite the same as under the wm for gnome.

    To install the OS, you'll need to do a few different steps. This is
    covered very very well in the docs actually. http://docs.sun.com/

    You can use PC Hard disks in the machine if your PC happens to be
    using SCA SCSI drives. This probably isn't too likely though (although
    for a few of my PC's, this would be true :) You probably mean can you
    use an IDE drive in the system. You could if you get a supported IDE
    Controller for the system. http://www.sun.com/io/ Not very many
    though, and the effort may be more difficult than just buying a refurb
    or overstock SCA SCSI drive, which are available in lots of places
    (ie. eBay, web stores, etc) which will go in and mount with the right
    spud bracket and no more fuss.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 8, 2004
  4. ninj

    Juhan Leemet Guest

    If you bought this machine used (off eBay?), then who knows what it may
    have (or not have) installed in it? I would recommend doing a clean
    install of your own, esp. as you said you have the CD media kit. Then you
    will know what is there, and that nothing else is in there. You'll have to
    learn how to install patches (but was the machine patched up properly?)
    but that's not a big deal. Folks here can provide assistance. Once you're
    ready to do the install, you can:

    (power on)
    (press <stop+a> to get to prompt)
    ok
    (put in the install CD or some prefer CD 1 of 2)
    (then type)
    boot cdrom

    You should have some documentation that came with the media kit?

    If you don't do a clean install now, you'll have more "inertial" later,
    when you've got your valuable programs and data installed on the machine.

    By all means, play with it first, to get comfortable with the machine.
    Maybe explore using:
    pkginfo (software)
    showrev -p (patches)

    Try banging around on various programs and utilities, etc. If something
    screws up big time, no biggie, since you're going to reinstall anyway.

    The only potential (but not likely) danger might be some kind of trojan
    installed on that machine that might try to find some other networked
    computer. You might want to keep the new machine off any network for now?
    When you go to do the installation, you can connect up to your network.

    Note, that there might be some software installed on the machine that you
    don't have legal rights to keep/run. Clean install will purge them too.

    Juhan Leemet, Aug 9, 2004