Sun ultra 40 boot problem AMD Opteron

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by samurai42, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. samurai42

    samurai42 Guest

    Hi,
    my Sun Ultra 40 will not boot, the cooling fans are spinning, but
    there is no msg to read on the monitor. Occasionally I got it to boot,
    it ran for two weeks, but at next reboot it displays no signal to the
    video card. I spotted this in the manual
    ===

    During POST, the BIOS outputs the error code to I/O port 80h. The
    workstation
    motherboard is equipped with a two segment LED display that displays
    the current
    value of port 80h.

    ===

    but I cannot get the glue in it, maybe because I have opteron AMD and
    this is targeted to sparc. Last error msg I read was like this:

    ===
    Phoenix trusted core(TM) server
    copyright 1985 - 2004 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

    all rights reserverd
    Build Time: 12/19/05 09:46:08
    sun ultra 40 workstation BIOS version 1.050

    CPU Stepping = E4 2000MHz

    MemClk = 200 MHz Tcl=3.0 Trcd = 3 Tras = 8 Trp=3

    1023 M System RAM Passed
    1024 K cache SRAM Passed

    System BIOS shadowed
    Video BIOS Shadowed

    ATAPI CD-ROM: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ - 845S

    Mouse initialized

    Kernel Library version:03.00.00.04
    Strong ROM Version:03.00
    Build:_P

    Event log messages, enter setup to view

    ERROR
    0280: Previous boot incomplete -
    Default configuration used

    Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to setup

    ===

    what can I do? is the motherboard faulty? How can I get it to boot
    from CD
    and run a system diagnosis?

    samurai42, Aug 9, 2010

  2. Re-seat your video card?
    While you're in there, re-seat everything else.

    Haven't had the problem with an Ultra 40, but the nVidia
    video card in the W1100z and W2100z workstations loosened
    during shipping.

    John

    John D Groenveld, Aug 9, 2010

  3. Am 09.08.10 20:22, schrieb John D Groenveld:
    The machine is probably old enough such that the CMOS battery has to be
    replaced. I had heavy problems with my Ultra 24 some weeks ago.
    Replacing the old battery solved its problems.

    Regards,
    Andreas

    Andreas Wacknitz, Aug 9, 2010
  4. samurai42

    samurai42 Guest

    Thanx,

    1) changed CMOS Battery

    2) got an experienced server technician to take a look at the unit,
    he tested with a "POST" card:

    like this:

    Motherboard Analyzer
    POST( Power on self test ) card

    PC ISA PCI Mainboard Diagnosekarte Debug-Analyzer Test post w / LED-
    Anzeige

    http://de.sourcingmap.com/isa-pci-d...nalyzer-test-post-wled-indicator-p-25678.html

    http://tinyurl.com/POSTcardSunUltra40

    But we got no hex code, which could say anything. My question, is it
    likely to get a better result, with a better POST Card? It was not
    possible to get any LED signal out of the PCI Bus. We assume it may be
    Processor or Motherboard.

    Sincerely yours,

    藻留天 具留部覧度船
    Morten Gulbrandsen

    samurai42, Aug 15, 2010
  5. samurai42

    Yesotho

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Was there any new development on this? I have the same problem.

    Yesotho, Jun 30, 2014