Sun Ultra 5 similar to Sun Ultra 10

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Chong YL, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Chong YL

    Chong YL Guest

    Hi all,

    We have a sun ultra 5 running a critical application and we are looking for
    a spare unit
    as a backup.

    There seems to be plenty of recondition Sun ultra 10 in the market but not
    Sun ultra 5.

    On checking the technical specification , they seems similar except for the
    casing.

    Anyone tried to run a sun ultra 5 application on a sun ultra 10 box?

    Thanks in advance.

    rgds

    Johnny

    Chong YL, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Chong YL

    Steven Hill Guest

    On checking the technical specification , they seems similar except for the
    The Ultra 5 and 10 are the same machine in different cases.

    Same motherboard.

    S.

    Steven Hill, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Hi Johnny

    The Ultra 5 and 10 are the same, only in diffrend boxes, and diffrend CPU
    speeds.
    And as long You have the same version of Solaris there should never be any
    difficulties running applications from a Ultra 5 on a Ultra 10.

    Btw. Solaris 9 is running Solaris 8 apps fine, like Solaris 8 is running
    Solaris 7 apps, and so on.

    Greetings from sunny Denmark.
    Kent Wormsdorf
    --
    PS. (Sorry, only in danish.)

    Er der nogen der mangler en mand med lidt viden om Sun HW og SW,
    så må I gerne sende mig en E-mail.
    Jeg er uddannet datamatiker og har senest arbejdet som teknisk presale konsulent.

    Kent Wormsdorf, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Chong YL

    Aule Mahal Guest

    In general. In rare cases, you will actually get breakage. Sometimes
    you can get around it with some degree of coding--sometimes you do not
    have the source.

    Aule Mahal, Aug 4, 2004