SunFire 280R upgrade firmware then Rebooting regularly

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by yoann.moulin, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. yoann.moulin

    yoann.moulin Guest

    Hi,

    I have a problem on a SunFire 280R after upgrading the firmware (patch
    118323-01), the system reboot even if nothing is done on the machine.

    we got thismessage twice on the console :

    Fatal Error Repported by : (PCI-PBM)
    Probing system device

    then the server reboot

    any idea to fix this ?

    thanks

    here datas about the server :

    # uname -a
    SunOS recette 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

    # prtdiag -v
    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Fire 280R (2 X
    UltraSPARC-III+)
    System clock frequency: 145 MHz
    Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

    ========================= CPUs

    Run E$ CPU CPU
    Brd CPU MHz MB Impl. Mask
    --- --- ---- ---- ------- ----
    A 0 1015 8.0 US-III+ 2.3
    B 1 1015 8.0 US-III+ 2.3

    ========================= Memory Configuration
    ===============================

    Logical Logical Logical
    MC Bank Bank Bank DIMM Interleave
    Interleaved
    Brd ID num size Status Size Factor with
    ---- --- ---- ------ ----------- ------ ----------
    -----------
    CA 0 0 2048MB no_status 1024MB 2-way 0
    CA 0 2 2048MB no_status 1024MB 2-way 0

    ========================= IO Cards =========================

    Bus Max
    IO Port Bus Freq Bus Dev,
    Brd Type ID Side Slot MHz Freq Func State
    Name Model
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- -----
    -------------------------------- ----------------------
    I/O PCI 8 A 1 33 66 1,0 ok
    SUNW,m64B SUNW,370-4362

    ========================= Environmental Status
    =========================

    System Temperatures (Celsius):
    ------------------------------
    cpu0 1
    ---------
    65 58

    =================================

    Front Status Panel:
    -------------------
    Keyswitch position: NORMAL

    System LED Status: POWER GEN FAULT
    [ ON] [ ON]

    =================================

    Disk Status:
    Presence Fault Value
    -------- -----------
    DISK 0: [PRESENT] [NO_FAULT]
    DISK 1: [EMPTY ]

    =================================

    Fan Bank :
    ----------

    Bank Status
    ---- -------
    FAN [NO_FAULT]

    =================================

    Power Supplies:
    ---------------
    Supply Status PS Type
    ------ ------ ---------------
    PS0 [OK ] [Sun-Fire-280R]
    PS1 [DEVICE_FAULT] [Sun-Fire-280R]

    =================================

    ========================= HW Revisions
    =======================================

    System PROM revisions:
    ----------------------
    OBP 4.16.4 2004/12/18 05:18

    IO ASIC revisions:
    ------------------
    Port
    Model ID Status Version
    -------- ---- ------ -------
    Schizo 8 ok 5

    Patch-ID# 118323-01
    Date: Jan/10/2005

    Yoann

    yoann.moulin, Feb 21, 2007

  2. yoann.moulin

    Trinean Guest

    I suppose you could reflash the firmware to see if maybe it was just a bad
    flash.
    Do you have a way to hook up a NULL modem to ttya?
    If so, then try setting diag-level to max and diag-switch? to true and see
    what errors get called out during POST.

    Is a power supply unplugged or do you only have a single power supply in the
    server?

    Trinean

    Trinean, Feb 22, 2007

  3. yoann.moulin

    yoann.moulin Guest

    I suppose you could reflash the firmware to see if maybe it was just a bad
    ok, I did it this morning
    we are connected on the server via the serial port
    one power supply was in used, we plugged the second one

    the machine is up since this morning and no more reboot.

    Waiting until tomorow anyway and if it reboot again, I will do a diag

    thanks
    Yoann

    yoann.moulin, Feb 22, 2007