SunFire V120 and a V440 CD Drive

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by David McClelland, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Some guys have goofed somewhere down the line - the V120's and V240's
    I'm trying to install don't come with CD/DVD Drives. However, the
    V440's did. So, thought I, why don't I take out the CD Drive from the
    V440 and fit it into the V120 - hey presto, with a little jiggering,
    it fitted, and the connection seems the same. However, it just don't
    want to see it.

    Now, I'm really quite new to Solaris - all I've done so far is to run
    a cfgadm -al and I see the follwing:

    # cfgadm -al
    Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant
    Condition
    c0 scsi-bus connected configured
    unknown
    c0::dsk/c0t0d0 disk connected configured
    unknown
    c0::dsk/c0t1d0 disk connected configured
    unknown
    c1 scsi-bus connected unconfigured
    unknown

    There sure 'aint no CDROM device connected there - is there a good old
    'cfgmgr' (AIX!) or similar which will get this Sun box to see the
    drive?

    Any help, much appreciated.

    Thanks you guys,

    David, stuck in a warehouse in St Louis, 3000 miles and 7 timezones
    away from home :eek:(

    David McClelland, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Sorted - it turns out that 'high end' servers (i.e. V440's and
    upwards) have SCSI CD/DVD rom drives, but the low end (i.e. V120 and
    V240's) use IDE CD Rom drives. Even though the connector is the same,
    and it looks, to all intents and purposes as though it might work - it
    won't.

    David McClelland, Apr 5, 2004

  3. David McClelland

    spook Guest

    I suggest you invest some time in configuring a single server as your
    Solaris Jumpstart server. This will prove useful for all your Solaris
    installs on servers that have no CDROM.
    Pretty straightforward to build and use and there are some JumpStart
    cookbooks on the Sunsolve site.

    spook, Apr 13, 2004