    Does anyone know why Sun has stopped shipments of the SunFire v240?

    Thanks
    Marj

    Marj, Jul 10, 2003

  2. I understand its a hardware fault of some kind with the onboard
    network interface.

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Marj

    SunComp59 Guest

    They are having Eithernet problems from what I was told.
    I Buy and Sell new and used SUN, IBM, Cisco
    Email for items you need or have for sale.

    SunComp59, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Marj

    Scott Howard Guest

    Scott Howard, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Marj

    Chris Morgan Guest

    Apparently the problem lay in some Broadcom chips and Broadcom has
    fixed it.

    Sun Server Problem Result of Broadcom Chip Flaw, Register Says
    July 21, 2003 10:27 EDT -- Sun Microsystems Inc., whose server
    computers run corporate networks and Web sites, stopped shipping two
    low-end machines because of problems with Broadcom Corp. semiconductor
    chips in the computers, the Orange County Register reported.

    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conews&tkr=SUNW:US

    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Marj

    Chris Morgan Guest

    The statement about the fix was actually in the Orange County Register
    website. This requires registration, so I wont post the whole story,
    however here is an extract

    Broadcom, which has more than 2,500 employees, said it has solved the
    problem but wouldn't elaborate.

    Company spokesman Bill Blanning declined to discuss the setback this
    weekend. He wouldn't say how many chips were involved or disclose
    whether other customers had bought flawed networking chips.

    Chris

    Chris Morgan, Jul 21, 2003