    Has anybody a solution for this?

    Regards,
    Steffen Bruns

    Steffen Bruns, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Steffen Bruns

    DER Guest

    Not a solution, but an idea. I assume that your Adaptec RAID cards are
    being plugged into PCI slots. There may be your issue, the PCI bus. I have
    long felt that RAID controllers built-in to a Mobo had the advantage of not
    being on the PCI bus and therefore could be much faster as a result. I
    don't have the equipment nor desire to test this out, so it's only a hunch.
    DER

    DER, Jul 23, 2004

  3. In most of the servers there is a 533 MHz PCI-Bus.
    Most RAID controllers built on a Mainboard use the PCI bus, there are only a
    few versions (IDE) which directly use the Southbridge.

    Steffen

    Steffen Bruns, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Steffen Bruns

    DER Guest

    Yea, you're right. As I said, it was only an idea!

    DER

    DER, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Steffen Bruns

    Chris Guest

    I'm sure Ive read somewhere in a Supermicro manual that the built in SCSI
    controller bypases some of the PCI bus which speeds things up. I think that
    was on a P6DBS or DGU or similar - maybe not relevant in later server
    solutions though.

    Chris

    Chris, Jul 24, 2004
  6. Steffen Bruns

    NoMooreLies Guest

    Adaptec cards - either 0 channel or more - are generally stable, and that's about all.
    You might also check your cables and termininators to make sure they are all 160 or 320 spec.

    You should also try your question at storagereview.com.
    Later

    NoMooreLies, Jul 28, 2004