    it with a few fans. Anyone else able to get away with a low end case
    without having heat dissipation problems with these dual Xeon boards?

    , Sep 24, 2003

  2. Guest

    The application, Mnogosearch is a web based search engine software for
    Linux. My configuration uses Mysql 4.0, a cache Word index which is
    divided into 8192 files and a compressed storage document database
    (several hundred thousand files, 1gb in size). I compile it with gcc on
    my Linux 2.4.20 kernel.

    My performance bottlenecks are with mysql and cache database index
    updates eat all my CPU resources. I also lose a little bit of time in
    disk search as it searches the cache database files. Therefore I am
    thinking 60gb SCSI likely would be better than the current ATA-100 IDE
    controller. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible therefore
    single drive and no raid.

    No AGP needed, and a simple old 8mb video would suffice.
    This is good to know.

    Thx Ed.

    , Sep 25, 2003

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the info. It looks like Supermicro is going to be out of my
    price range even though it seems to be the way to go for a server mb. I
    may even take a look at AMD multi processors at this point to open up a
    whole new can of worms.

    I found Asus to have a new dual XEON PC-DL for $212 but advertises it
    for the power user. A dual XEON is a dual XEON so not sure if that makes
    much of difference that I am using it as an application server.

    If anyone has any recommendations....?

    , Sep 25, 2003