Support: Day to day and biggies

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. Now that IBM seems to be leaving the PC business, I thought that I'd ask who
    gives the best support?

    The categories of support of interest (to me):

    1. "day to day": This covers the usual setup and how do I do X in the OS
    issues.
    2. "biggies": Hardware failure and parts replacement.
    3. Extended warranty.
    4. Screen insurance.

    Which companies are the best/worst in each of these two categories?
    Which have not yet shifted support offshore (yes, I am viewing this from the
    perspective of a single language, English speaking individual)?
    Of those having shifted offshore, how hard is it to escalate to US based
    tech support?
    Which do NOT have 24 x 7 phone support?
    Which have life of product FREE telephone support? Email support?
    Which have support only for the hardware after, say, 90 daze or 1 year?

    Which handle the "biggies" best?

    Which has best extended warranty?

    Which has best screen insurance?

    What did I overlook above?

    Howard Kaikow, Dec 5, 2004

  2. It's really not about offshore versus onshore, it's about who has
    knowledgable tech support. Once you've hired all the competent folks
    in the US and India, you are going to have to settle for Script
    Monkeys (SM).
    Well, there's always "Who has the best prices?"

    I'll sell you a laptop with all the features you want above, but it'll
    cost you a megabuck.

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Price is not relevant until AFTER the other fadctors have been determined,
    only then would I decide on the trade off between price and quality.

    Howard Kaikow, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Howard Kaikow

    SuperStud Guest

    Which handle the "biggies" best?
    Why aren't you playing outside like all the other kids?

    <<SS>>

    SuperStud, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Unfortunately, you are in the minority of laptop buyers. Everyone
    else wants a cheap laptop, and 24x7 competent tech support isn't even
    on their radar. Therefore, companies wishing to maximize their
    profits are building cheap laptops (and every other kind of computer)
    and providing tech support using Script Monkeys(SM).

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 5, 2004