  1. If you built a fan holder that did just that.

    No vibration at all just the fans air woooshing.

    Smack me if you think this is stupid :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Sep 30, 2003

  2. What makes you think it won't vibrate?

    David Maynard, Sep 30, 2003

    Hank Guest

    Check this out http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps6000Cu.htm

    Hank

    Hank, Sep 30, 2003

    YanquiDawg Guest

    There are a few heatsink/fan combos that raise the fan off the heatsink about
    1/4 inch.
    To make it quieter use small thin rubber washers betwen both sides of the
    screws and fan.

    YanquiDawg, Sep 30, 2003
  5. The rubber washers, or rather a vibration dampening material, is the key.

    Simply 'suspending' the fan with a bracket won't necessarily do it because if
    the fan vibrated when mounted on the heatsink it's going to vibrate on the
    bracket and the bracket, if it's stiff (likely), will transmit the sound
    similarly to the heatsink (might be worse; might be better; might be about the
    same. It depends on the frequency, the vibration path, and the materials).

    One thing it *would* help, but wasn't mentioned, is reduction of the beat noise
    from the fan blades over the heatsink fins (as does the above mentioned spacing).

    David Maynard, Sep 30, 2003
  6. That could be a good reason to do it.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Except that, all else being equal, the spacers are easier.

    David Maynard, Oct 1, 2003

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Ken Maltby, Oct 1, 2003

    Matt Guest

    Design it as a small battery-powered helicopter. Then it won't be
    touching anything---so no vibrations.

    I don't know how long you could fly the thing before recharging.
    Probably you would need several, controlled by the computer of course.

    Not clear whether you would have room for several in the case. You
    might need an external heliport/recharge station.

    Battery power might add too much complexity. If you make one with a
    power cable/tether, hopefully the vibrations that come through the cable
    would be small and bearable.

    Matt, Oct 2, 2003

    Skid Guest

    At last, something worth watching through a plexiglass case porthole ;>)

    Skid, Oct 2, 2003
  11. Yes suspending a fan will work, however this works best with an open
    heatsink design which is "blow-through" as opposed to "impingement".

    o Impingement = air must turn through 90-degrees
    ---- eg, standard heatsink & fan
    o Blow-through = air blows through the heatsink fins
    ---- eg, Zalman flower cooler

    Where the heatsink isn't "blow-through" you need to get quite closer.

    There is a range of fan-to-heatsink separations for which temperature
    will remain a constant, yet noise will vary very considerably.

    The benefit of a larger fan, and a blow-through heatsink, is you tend
    to get collateral cooling in that locale - eg, chipset heatsink and such.

    You don't need lots of cooling or fans - it's how you use them:
    o 100cfm will cool 500W
    o 25cfm will cool 125W

    As important as the cfm, is the air-path through a case.
    Making your intake free-flowing vs restrictive grills is beneficial, intake
    fans aren't always required - round-wire grills can be more economic.

    Suspending a fan at the end of a bracket will prevent vibration being
    transmitted into the motherboard to excite it into resonance etc. The
    case body itself will instead pick up some of the vibration. However,
    for the kinds of airflow & fan rpm involved, this should be small. As
    mentioned, use of some rubber to provide isolation is all that's needed.

    dorothy.bradbury, Oct 4, 2003