SV-24 Cpu temp high when idle

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Skier, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Skier

    Skier Guest

    Hi,
    I have the following: SV24, Celeron 1100, 256 megs RAM, 30 gig WD drive,
    CD, Floppy. When I first start or when browsing the internet, the CPU is
    around 89 degrees F. When left alone for 20-30 minutes, especially when it
    goes idle with a game such as mahjong open (my wife's favorite), the CPU
    gets up to 122 degrees! The side of the case near the CPU is hot too!
    After you wake it up, the cpu slowly goes down in temp. The power saving
    settings in the BIOs are hard to interpret and the help is no help. The
    manual doesn't explain it well either. Could someone tell what settings to
    use in the BIOS to cool this thing down when not in use. The CPU OEM fan is
    running fine as is the case fan. And, would this thing run cooler if I got
    a Celeron Tualatin proc and adapter. www.upgradeware.com says that their
    tualatin adapter would work in the SV-24. I assume the tualatin runs cooler
    and therefore the case runs cooler. Anyone have any idea how many less
    watts of power the tualatin procs use over the FCPGA Celeron 1.1?

    Thanks for your help.

    Tom

    Skier, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Skier

    foolish501 Guest

    I had a SV24 last year, and ran a Celeron 900 in it, and never had any
    problems. I think the first thing you need to do is replace the
    heatsink/fan. These things do get hot because of the lack of space,
    the problem wasn't fixed until Shuttle brought out the heatpipe.

    foolish501, Aug 3, 2003