    slows the computer. Virus scans negative.

    I can't find an answer with Google? Frequent reports, but no fixes.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Christopher Muto, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    The problem returned. It has been fixed by disabling the SSDP Discovery
    service.

    Brian

    Brian K, Mar 3, 2004
  4. but isn't it curious that your simple service discovery protocol (ssdp)
    started behaving badly? you may be ok living without it running but i think
    you may have solve the symptom and not the cause. what av do you use that
    reported no virus found? what were the results of the scan with the link
    that was suggested?

    Christopher Muto, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Thanks for staying with the thread Chris. I ran the Welchia removal tool
    again yesterday, no worm found. I ran your Trend Micro link today, no
    viruses found. Here is a summary of what I did a few weeks ago.

    "I have NAV with the latest virus definitions. I had run the Blaster and
    latest Welchia removal tool (ver 1.0.4) from Symantec and also an online
    scan from McAfee. All said my computer was fine.

    I uninstalled Microsoft Critical Updates 833407 and 828028 but I missed
    uninstalling 832894.

    Luckily I backup with Drive Image so I restored an image from 10 days ago
    (prior to the 3 Critical Updates) and the problem had gone. Ad-aware scan
    was clear too."

    I agree that in disabling the service I "may have solved the symptom and not
    the cause" but at least my computer is "usable" now (CPU was on 100% 2/3 of
    the time) and I haven't noticed any deleterious effects of not having the
    service. You may have seen this.

    I'll post again if I have further information. I suspect the Critical
    Updates although my other computers have these updates and are fine.

    Brian

    Brian K, Mar 3, 2004