    would not work in my notebook?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    steventhomas42, Mar 23, 2007

  2. steventhomas42

    Quaoar Guest

    Well, the swapping of optical drives in notebooks gets a bit
    complicated, owing to the design of the bezel. The drives might be
    identical, but the bezel in the original drive could likely have been
    modified to fit the notebook case, whereas the replacement drive has not
    been. The best case is the the new drive, installed, simply does not
    blend with the case design. The worst case is that the new drive's
    bezel prohibits it's closing properly. One might swap bezels from the
    old to the new drive, but, again, unless at least the open/close button
    is in exactly the correct position, the new drive will not work with the
    old bezel (that assumes that the new drive's bezel can be replaced with
    the old drive's bezel.)

    A better, and cheaper, solution is to purchase an external USB2/Firewire
    enclosure suitable for the most up-to-date drive of your choice. There
    are also complete external DVD/Dual layer drives available for at least
    USB2, perhaps Firewire also.

    Check out www.newegg.com

    Quaoar, Mar 25, 2007