    Many thanx to all

    Peter
    Queensland, Australia

    Peter, Oct 6, 2010

  2. Peter

    Paul Guest

    One motherboard takes AMD AM2 processors and the other
    takes Intel LGA775. At the CPU socket level, they
    share *nothing* in common. You can't swap processors.

    Please explain what you're trying to achieve, with
    some details, for the best advice. Give some background
    details, so we don't have to guess :)

    *******

    The cheapest AMD processor I can find right now (with
    no heatsink and fan), is around $25. So a cheap AMD
    processor can be purchased *brand new* for very little.
    The purpose of such a CPU, would be as an enabler to getting
    the BIOS chip flash upgraded, so you could use a more expensive
    processor. You would borrow the heatsink and fan from the
    more expensive processor, to cool the $25 processor while
    completing the BIOS flash.

    To see what will work in your GA-M61PME-S2, you use the CPU support
    chart. It contains BIOS revision information, as well as the
    names of the processors.

    http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2755

    The BIOS chip on the motherboard, is an eight pin serial flash chip,
    near the faceplate end of the PCI Express x16 video card slot. I don't
    know exactly, how you're supposed to tell what BIOS release is in there.
    On larger (32-PLCC) flash chips, sometimes the manufacturer affixes a paper
    label, making visual verification of release number easy. But that
    chip is too small for paper labels, and the manufacturing process
    (the chip is soldered to the motherboard), makes it unlikely that
    a label would be part of the process. It would gum up the soldering
    equipment. And affixing the label afterwards, would take effort, and
    no motherboard manufacturer spends a penny more for labor than is
    absolutely necessary.

    http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/2755/887.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 6, 2010

  3. Peter

    Captainbob

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2010
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    More than likely the bios version would have to be determined by turning the computer on an going into the bios or seeing if it comes up on the screen after it is turned on--TheCaptain

    Captainbob, Oct 7, 2010