    Combo Drive in addition to the standard CDRW/DVD. I've determined that
    SWDVD refers to 'software' managed. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of
    choosing the SWD over the regular DVD?

    Jon, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Jon

    David Chien Guest

    While attempting to order a D600 I noticed that Dell now offers a SWDVD/CDRW
    More marketing hype? Looks like a regular DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo to me.

    David Chien, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Just a guess here. Maybe the "software managed" means that there isn't
    a hardware Mpeg decoder. Check the video adaptor specs and that should
    tell you if there is a hardware decoder. If not, video playback can
    "stutter". I've never seen this with a hardware decoder even on P2s and
    low RAM.

    Stromm Sarnac, Sep 13, 2003