    service? Turning "Airport" off doesn't re-establish my connection. Is
    there some set-up I need to do?
    Thanks in advance for your help. Mike, southern California

    miketaylor75, Jan 12, 2008

  2. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    Check out System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Network Port
    Configurations.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    Darrell Greenwood, Jan 12, 2008

  3. miketaylor75

    Bob Harris Guest

    <
    I switch between Airport and ethernet twice a day when I take my
    laptop to and from work. Airport at home, ethernet at work.

    In between it is sleeping and when I wake it up, it automatically
    switches to the available connection.

    So you might try putting your Mac to sleep and waking it back up
    again.

    Option 2. Using the Network System Preferences, create a 2
    additional locations and give them names like "Ethernet" and
    "Airport". Clicking on the "Location:" popup you will see "New
    Location...".

    Now For each of those new locations, under the "Show:" popup,
    select "Network Port Configurations". You will get a dialog box
    allowing you to check/uncheck the different network interfaces
    available to this location. Uncheck everything except the
    interface you wish to associate with this location.

    After saving all these changes, now you should be able to go to
    your Apple menu (the Blue Apple in Tiger, I think it is gray in
    Leopard), and there should be a menu entry "Locations" which
    should list in a secondary menu all the available locations. By
    selecting the location with only ethernet, your system should
    switch. By selecting the location with Airport, it should switch
    back to Airport only.

    Option 3. Using the Network System Preferences, change from
    "Using DHCP" to "Manual", and give both your Ethernet and Airport
    interfaces the same IP address (depending on your router it will
    most likely be something like 10.0.1.something (Apple), or
    192.168.something.something (just about everyone else). Then it
    should not matter to your Router which way you connect, as it will
    always be the same IP address and each interface will accept the
    packets. I've used this successful to start a network copy,
    unplug from the ethernet, and the transfer continued over Airport,
    then plug back into the ethernet and turn off the Airport and
    still the transfer continued.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jan 13, 2008
  4. miketaylor75

    Clark Martin Guest

    Provided both connections are set up in your current location then you
    don't switch between them. They are both active simultaneously. I both
    are connected then you will actually use both at the same time.

    Clark Martin, Jan 14, 2008
  5. miketaylor75

    AES Guest

    But you can only have _AppleTalk_ connectivity (if you still happen to
    need AppleTalk connectivity) through _one_ of those two connections
    at a time, right?

    [I still use two old LaserWriter 12/640 printers, Ethernetted using
    Asante adaptors, at two different locations. At one location I want to
    do this through Airport; at another location through a wired Ethernet
    connection direct to my laptop. So, when I move the laptop from one
    location to the other, I have to change the AppleTalk settings.]

    AES, Jan 14, 2008
  6. miketaylor75

    Clark Martin Guest

    In that case you might want to consider setting up two locations. Make
    them the same except with different AppleTalk settings.

    MacTracker shows the 12/640 has Ethernet. Does it support IP printing?

    Clark Martin, Jan 15, 2008
  7. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    I don't want to switch between Airport and Ethernet. I don't have
    a cable connected to the Ethernet port. My only connection mode
    is via Airport. I've not been able to make my iMac "forget" about
    the Ethernet port.

    At each machine boot, there is an message box which says

    "Connection failed - Server may not exist..."

    I eventually determined the message box was a complaint about the
    non-working Ethernet en0 port. I removed the Ethernet connection
    from Automatic and the other "location". There are about a dozen
    com.apple.xxx files in the "...user - Library - Preferences - ByHost folder.

    These files have the 6 hex digit Ethernet port address embedded in
    the filename. I've deleted the folder several times but it returns
    and the applications act as though they have never been initialized.

    I don't understand why my computer "thinks" there *should be*
    a functioning Ethernet port when it is not configured.
    Maybe in "Mac OS X Update" (10.5.12) this will be fixed.

    Since my computer was installed in late October last year, I've received
    at least 4 software updates each month; eight in January and five in
    February so far. QuickTime updates number four total, 7.3 - 7.4.1.

    Another problem is my first generation Scroll Wheel FireWire connected
    iPod is not recognized by iTunes. It shows up as a 400 Mb/sec device
    on the FireWire Bus in System Profiler, but the iPod icon never appears
    on the Desktop or in iTunes.

    jack ak, Feb 19, 2008
  8. miketaylor75

    AES Guest

    Yes -- except if you're using an AppleTalk printer that's connected to
    the Airport network at one location, and connected to the Built-In
    Ethernet port at the other, you will have to use the Network pane in
    System Prefs at each location to activate AppleTalk in the appropriate
    one of these connections (which will deactivate it in the other).

    AES, Feb 19, 2008
  9. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    I did that several weeks ago before removing the Ethernet connection
    from both "locations".
    The iPod works fine with iTunes on my old iMac.

    I used the iPod FireWire cable to copy my existing iMac system files
    to the new iMac in October.

    jack ak, Feb 19, 2008
  10. miketaylor75

    Clark Martin Guest

    ByHost uses your built in Ethernet Port MAC Address (the 6 hex digit
    number) to uniquely identify your computer. The Airport MAC address
    will never be used (with the likely exception of the MacBook Air). It
    really has nothing to do with Ethernet, it's just using the Ethernet
    port Mac Address as a machine serial number.

    ByHost is used in the event you move your HD to another computer. It
    would then create distinct preference files for that computer based on
    it's Ethernet MAC Address.

    Clark Martin, Feb 20, 2008
  11. miketaylor75

    Clark Martin Guest

    This would be an excellent example of a time to use Locations. Set up
    two, one for each location or call them "Wired AppleTalk" and "Wireless
    AppleTalk". Then you can just switch them from the Apple Menu.

    Clark Martin, Feb 20, 2008
  12. miketaylor75

    Clark Martin Guest

    Not exactly. It will in fact use BOTH (or more), simultaneously, if
    possible.

    Clark Martin, Feb 20, 2008
  13. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    Ok, how do I stop the "Connection failed - Server may not exist.."
    message box from appearing? It keeps some functions disabled until
    it is dismissed. Zoom won't work while this message box is displayed.

    Related question...
    Why are there only 12 applications dependent on the Ethernet address?

    jack ak, Feb 20, 2008
  14. miketaylor75

    Bob Harris Guest

    That sounds like something trying to connect to a server that is
    not accessable, not an attempt to use ethernet.

    If you don't know, you could install "Little Snitch" (even in the
    5 minute demo mode) this should tell you which application(s) is
    trying to make network connections.

    Bob Harris, Feb 21, 2008
  15. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    The "Server may not exist" message refers to an Ethernet server.
    When I connect an Ethernet cable to my 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway router
    2 rooms away, the message doesn't appear. The Gateway router provides
    a Wireless access point which is preferable to visitors tripping over
    the cable running across the hallway.

    It's unfortunate I'm not presented with an option to not display the
    "Server may not exist..." message box. I know it doesn't exist since
    I don't use the Ethernet interface. When that message box was appearing
    in another "Space" I didn't realize what was hanging up my computer.
    One cannot use "Zoom" before that message box is closed.

    I usually keep an iPod connected so when the computer is started iTunes
    is launched. I moved iTunes to "Space 1" where the missing Ethernet
    connection message box displays on top of the iTunes screen.

    Try booting your computer with the Ethernet cable disconnected
    to see what is displayed.

    jack ak, Feb 21, 2008
  16. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    c/server/service/

    jack ak, Feb 21, 2008
  17. miketaylor75

    David Empson Guest

    In that case you have some software on your Mac which is trying to
    connect to a particular server, which is only accessible via Ethernet,
    and the software is complaining in a silly manner if it can't connect to
    the server.

    The fact that the server happens to be accessible via Ethernet is
    irrelevant. You won't be able to fix the problem by fiddling with your
    Ethernet settings or network preferences, or disabling the Ethernet
    port. (That is MORE likely to make the error message appear, since it
    may prevent your Mac from being able to access the server even if the
    Ethernet cable was connected.)

    You need to identify what it is on your Mac that is trying to connect to
    that server and tell it to stop doing that, otherwise it will keep
    complaining if it can't talk to the server.

    Exactly what functions is that server providing to your Mac? For
    example, is it a file server (in which case, what protocols), a web
    server, DNS server, DHCP server, or something else? For what purposes
    have you told your Mac to connect to that server?

    In an earlier message, you said:
    At which point during "machine boot" does this message appear? What
    applications are running at the point this message appears?

    Without more detailed information I'm only guessing, but the most likely
    explanation is that you have managed to set up an automatic connection
    to a file server when you log in to your account on the Mac. If so, you
    would get the same error appearing each time you log in (e.g. if you log
    out, then log in again) without the Ethernet cable connected.

    Have a look in your Login Items, in your account under System
    Preferences, Accounts. What items are listed there?

    A related possibility is that one application you are running as a login
    item has been configured to connect to a server in some way, and it is
    that application which is complaining.

    Similarly, it could be an application you are launching by hand each
    time you start up the computer.

    David Empson, Feb 21, 2008
  18. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    I found the solution to my problem with the unexpected message box.
    My Account's Login Items included

    SpeechSynthesisServer
    iTunesHelper
    AirPort Base Station Agent

    I removed all three from Login Items and the
    "Connection failed - Server may not exist.."
    message at boot time disappeared.

    I don't know how those items got there since
    Login Items in Accounts was "new" to me,

    jack ak, Feb 25, 2008
  19. miketaylor75

    jack ak Guest

    My Son who knows Apple software better than I do was here on Friday.
    He removed Airport Base Station Agent which had no effect on
    the problem.

    Sometime later, I removed the other two items and the problem
    disappeared. While experimenting, Son added a Guest account
    which didn't have the problem. Another user account that
    has been here for sometime didn't have the problem or any
    standard login items.

    BTW, iTunesHelper was listed with Unknown in Kind column.

    jack ak, Feb 26, 2008