    there be any problem if I just switch the SATA boot disk connection to the
    ICH5R? Besides changing the BIOS to boot from ICH5R is there aother things
    that need to be done? Any advise is appreciated.

    Sammylad, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Sammylad

    Tim Guest

    Just make sure the drivers for the ICH5R are installed prior to the switch
    and all will be ok. If they are not and the bios is configured to need them,
    you will get a BSOD with an IRQL error.

    Begs the question: if it aint broke, why fix it?

    - Tim

    Tim, Jan 23, 2004

  3. I think this is best answered by rephrasing the question:

    If it runs, why try to make it run better? ;-)

    Presuming it is true that SATA on the ICH5R puts less strain on the PCI bus
    than SATA on the SII does, I can understand why Sammylad would want to
    switch, even if the actual difference in every-day performance proves to be
    negligible.

    To be able to sleep at night, some of us just need to know that we have done
    what we can to get the most out of our hardware investments.

    Henrik Dissing, Jan 23, 2004