Switching from Travelstar 80GN to Travelstar 7K100

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Atlas, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Atlas

    Atlas Guest

    I'm quite satisfied about my Toshiba Satellite M30-604, nevertheless it
    looks like heavy duty tasks pull out the real bottleneck: the HD (Travelstar
    80Gn - IC25N060ATMR04 60 GB 4200 ATA-6 )

    MySatellite M30: Pentium M 1.4Ghz, 512MB Ram,Winxp Pro + SP2

    That is I'm wondering about a HD replacement and read about Hitachi's 7K100
    as the defintive leader in the board.
    Does anyone switched to such hard disk and if so, major benefits? Hotter?
    Noiser?
    MY HD is very quiet and temps range from 31°C up to 48°C after prolongued
    IOs (10 minutes)

    HD Tune states:
    HD Tune: IC25N060ATMR04-0 Information

    Firmware version : MO3OAD4A
    Serial number : MRG309K3GWMZ6K
    Capacity : 55.9 GB (~60.0 GB)
    Buffer size : 7884 KB
    Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0
    Supported mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)
    Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

    S.M.A.R.T : yes
    48-bit Address : yes
    Read Look-Ahead : yes
    Write Cache : yes
    Host Protected Area : yes
    Device Configuration Overlay : yes
    Automatic Acoustic Management: yes
    Power Management : yes
    Advanced Power Management : yes
    Power-up in Standby : yes
    Security Mode : yes
    Firmware Upgradable : no

    Partition : 1
    Drive letter : C:\
    Label :
    Capacity : 57223 MB
    Usage : 47.82%
    Type : NTFS
    Bootable : Yes

    HD Tune: IC25N060ATMR04-0 Benchmark

    Transfer Rate Minimum : 7.2 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 29.0 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 22.5 MB/sec
    Access Time : 17.7 ms
    Burst Rate : 78.1 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : 5.2%

    Regards

    Atlas, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Atlas

    Atlas Guest

    (CUT)
    may be more power consumption???

    Atlas, Oct 23, 2005

  3. William P.N. Smith, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Atlas

    matteo Guest

    I substituted my old 80gn with the 7k100. It seems that I bought a new
    computer. I don't notice any difference about power consumption, the
    only thing you will realize is that it makes a little bit more noise,
    but you'll find it is worth considering the highly increased speed.

    matteo, Oct 31, 2005