    custom mpeg2 format which nonetheless produces a perfectly valid dvd stream.

    Some of this stuff I'd like to burn. -This is totaly unexpected that I
    can't use iDVD for this - or am I missing something here?

    Flavius, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Flavius

    Beelsebob Guest

    Unfortunately you can't use iDVD for it, because MPEG2 carries a hefty
    licence fee... You can buy an MPEG2 Quicktime codec from apple for $30
    and then you can easily reencode the stream to DV (so as not to loose
    quality) and then burn it with iDVD. Alternatively you can invest in
    DVD Studio Pro that I'm fairly sure (but don't quote me) will allow you
    to do this.

    Bob

    Beelsebob, Jan 31, 2005

  3. If it is already in an MPEG format, you want a tool that does
    not recode the data. You will lose quality if you do that. I
    know of tools on the PC, but I haven't looked on the Mac yet.

    -john-

    John A. Weeks III, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Flavius

    Beelsebob Guest

    I agree that you want to avoid taking it out of MPEG2 format, but with
    iDVD that's not possible... Hence why I suggested DVD Studio Pro.

    Bob

    Beelsebob, Feb 1, 2005
  5. iDVD is for creating DVDs from digital video (e.g. camcorders); it
    doesn't expect a DVD stream as input. I imagine Apple is trying to
    avoid screams of bloody murder from the MPAA by not including those
    capabilities.

    Matthew Russotto, Feb 1, 2005