SY-K7V Dragon Plus...

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Mark, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi,

    who still runs a Soyo Dragon Plus (Socket A)? I had mine for about 6
    years and it runs more or less without any problems. But now I had a big
    problem.

    When I start up the power supply I heard the first short beep and the
    hard drives powered up. Then I heard the second short beep and that it
    was. The start up procedure does not get into the BIOS.

    I checked everything from the power supply over the graphic adapter to
    the memory. Everything seems to be o.k. But now I found elektrolyt
    condensator who seems to had blown up.

    It´s the ELC17 between the PCI slots #4 and #5. Has anyone had this
    problem before?

    I like to replace this condensator, but could there be more problems
    after that?

    Mark

    Mark, Dec 13, 2007

  2. Mark

    f/fgeorge Guest

    I run one of these and have no problems with it, knocking on wood.
    Lots of mb's though have problems with condensors, I have seen lots of
    Dell mb's have bad ones. Lots of Dell mb's have no problems, but the
    GX270 models seem to be prone to this. I have seen the Dell guy
    replace it and the mb works fine, I have seen to the Dell guy say it
    isn't worth the parts costs to replace it. We have Dells's at work so
    that is my experience. When a mb goes bad for me here at home, I just
    replace the board generally upgrading to a dual core in the process. I
    currently have 20 pc's running here at home. Yes the electric bill is
    a bit high.

    f/fgeorge, Dec 13, 2007

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I heard of these things before. But I like to know if the ELC17 which
    blew up could have cause damage to further parts of the board.

    Mark, Dec 14, 2007
  4. Mark

    f/fgeorge Guest

    That I cannot answer for sure. The probable answer is maybe, maybe
    not. Something caused it to blow, whether it was the weak link and did
    it's job protecting the rest of the board is probably not knowable. If
    you can get the parts cheap and like troubleshooting, it may be worth
    trying to fix it.

    f/fgeorge, Dec 14, 2007
  5. Mark

    wollensak

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Markham ON CA
    Capacitor Replacement

    They are called capacitors. You need a desoldering tool, and a low power soldering iron to remove the old one. They have the tool on Ebay - just a suction type thing.

    Then you have to get the right replacement cap. Again you can find them on Ebay. You could remove a cap from an old board or power supply of the same electrical capacity - the one you are talking about is 1000mf 6.3V. Some people just pull off the old casing and attach a new capacotor to to the two wires. Better to try and find someone to do it for you - but the cost is probably more than a new board.

    I have 3 non-working SOYO boards I got off Ebay. I don't think thy are in the same quality league as Asus or even ECS

    wollensak, Jan 6, 2008