Symantec/Norton Antivirus Flaw Leaves Systems Open to Exploits

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Steve, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Steve

    Jim C Guest

    Never had a problem with Symantec.

    Jim C, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Steve

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    So, by your logic, I am assuming you do not use Windows because of flaws...
    OOOPS! You're an idiot...saying don't use Symantec because of a flaw, yet
    you use Windows.

    Hypocrites like you don't deserve to be allowed to post here.

    Why don't you just drink a big glass of STFU and slink away back to the
    cesspool you crawled out of.

    You are such a lamer that you use Internet Explorer, and you use it to
    access newsgroups.

    If you look up the word "moron" in the dictionary, there will be a picture
    of you in the description.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Take a chill pill....

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 23, 2005
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    FYI I have used Norton products before. I quit in 2003 because
    Norton/Symantec is bloatware,
    uses to may system resources. There are many are other brands that will do
    the same with less bloat.
    Like NOD32, Trend Micro, F-Prot, G-data, etc. for antivirus software.

    BTW your using Internet Explorer to access the newsgroup. What are you like
    12 or something?

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Steve

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    First, I challenge you to prove your claim that it is bloatware. Post one
    piece of evidence that NAV takes up any more system resources than any of
    the products you mention and I will apologize to you here. I suspect that
    you'll be just like all the others that claim it to be bloatware, and will
    be unable to provide a single shred of evidence to support your claim.
    (Hint: NAV does not take up any more resources than any of the products you
    tested, and in many cases takes *less*).

    Second, I do not use Internet Explorer, except once a month on the second
    Tuesday to check on Windows Updates. If you knew how to read a header you
    would know what I was using to access the newsgroups (hint: it is a
    newsreader program...).

    Third, you are still a hypocrite because you use Windows yet you claim that
    a flaw in the product is a reason not to use Symantec. Windows is riddled
    with flaws, yet you use it.
    Because you post one thing and do another, that makes you a hypocrite. I am
    just guessing on you being an idiot, but I assume the claim is not far off
    the mark.

    Lastly, as to my age, I assure you that I am probably many years your
    senior. I just hate hypocritical a**holes like yourself who fly banners
    when a product they don't use has a flaw, yet cannot defend their own claim
    and then use a product that is more flawed than the product they are
    flaming.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Steve

    Lou Guest

    Your newsreader is

    You can't tell what the person's internet browser is using when posting
    to this newsgroup
    (internet explorer, Netscape, opera, mozilla, etc.) by newsgroup headers.

    It is possible to use Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader and not use
    Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser.

    Lou

    Lou, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Steve

    Lou Guest

    Explain how Internet Explorer a Internet Browser is used to access these
    newsgroups?

    Lou

    Lou, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Did you read the article? It includes the following paragraph:

    "Symantec is not the first antivirus software firm to get caught with
    its pants down. Companies such as Trend Micro, F-Secure, and McAfee all
    have had to deal with the discovery of serious vulnerabilities in their
    software. The problem for Symantec is that, as an industry leader, there
    are a significant number of vendors as well as consumers whose products
    and services could be affected."

    If you have a hardon for Symantec, fine; otherwise, which AV software
    would you choose?

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Steve

    Notan Guest

    So, the plethora of people that have experienced system slowdowns, after
    installing various Norton products, are all liars? Or, maybe none of them
    know what they're talking about? Then again, maybe you're just smarter
    than everyone else.

    My understanding is that some of the more recent versions of Norton's
    products are significantly less of a strain on resources than in the past.
    But, the fact remains that a lot of people have switched to other products,
    resulting in better system response times.

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 23, 2005

  11. Maybe via Google?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Steve

    Lou Guest

    I mean Directly not indirect via internet browser

    Lou

    Lou, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Steve

    Lou Guest

    I agree with you Notan, NoNoBadDog! needs to take some anger management
    classes,
    instead going off in public newsgroups (childish) with anyone who doesn't
    agree with his point view.
    Computer users can form their own opinion on using or not using Norton's
    software products.

    Lou

    Lou, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    Glad the voices of reason are prevailing here. I thought I was going to have
    to fall back on the tried and true statement:

    "Norton is a bloatware pig."

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 24, 2005
  15. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    You didn't ask me Sparky, but my answer would be AVG, CA ETrust, or
    "somebody else" in non-corporate environment.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 24, 2005
  16. Steve

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Many use Internet explorer to read these newsgroups, using servers set up
    for such a purpose.
    Simply Google it for how it is done.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Dec 24, 2005
  17. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    That's gonna leave a mark.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 24, 2005
  18. Steve

    Leythos Guest

    Funny, both Kap and McAfee have buffer overflow exploits that were
    patched or unpatched at this time also.

    While I've never (20+ years) had a single client/computer compromised,
    been using Norton and then Symantec AV, I'm going to stick with Symantec
    since I can block inbound attachments of the RAR type, so the exploit
    won't impact our systems or our clients systems.

    Leythos, Dec 24, 2005
  19. Sorry, Stew, but I wouldn't trust any CA product based on my experience
    with CA in the mainframe world. Both Charlie Wang & Sanjay Kumar are
    convicted felons at this point IIRC.

    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_02/b3915652.htm

    JANUARY 10, 2005

    THE BEST & WORST MANAGERS OF 2004 -- THE FALLEN MANAGERS

    Sanjay Kumar
    Computer Associates International

    Sanjay Kumar was once the protégé and right-hand man of Computer
    Associates International Inc. (CA ) founder Charles B. Wang. The Sri
    Lankan native took over as CEO in 2000, promising to improve accounting
    and customer relations. But while customer ties got better, the
    accounting came under fire. A Justice Dept. probe of CA's accounting
    begun nearly three years ago culminated last September with Kumar, 42,
    being indicted for securities fraud and obstruction of justice. He
    denies the charges.

    The government got its big break in the case last January, when a
    midlevel CA manager started cooperating with investigators. Then, one
    after another, more executives and managers started talking. The
    government found that at the end of quarters in fiscal 2000 and 2001, CA
    executives kept the books open for extra days so the company could
    recognize revenues from late-closing deals -- boosting its financial
    performance. Insiders called it the 35-day month.

    Kumar was one of 15 former executives and employees who lost their jobs
    as a result of the investigation. Most pleaded guilty to accounting
    misdeeds and obstruction of the federal investigation. CA itself avoided
    prosecution by agreeing to being monitored and paying $225 million into
    a fund for shareholders. Kumar awaits trial this year.

    Copyright 2000- 2005 by The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.
    All rights reserved.

    http://www.taxgloss.com/Tax-US_Companies_Co_-_G-/Computer_Associates.html

    In 2000, a class-action lawsuit accused founder Charles Wang, co-founder
    Russell Artzt and then president Sanjay Kumar of wrongly reporting more
    than $500 million in revenue in its 1998 and 1999 fiscal computer
    associates software years, in order to artificially inflate the stock
    price. A previous stock option set in 1995 specified that a certain
    number computer service associates of shares would vest when CA's shares
    computer associates faq sustained a target price. The benchmark was met
    in 1998, and the three executives combined received nearly $1 billion in
    CA stock. Since then, at least four other computer associates etrust
    antivirus v7.1 computer associates m link weaknesses - oem class-action
    suits have been filed against CA.

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 24, 2005
  20. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    I was aware of all that too.(g) That's why I mentioned AVG first........

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 24, 2005