sync scenario

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Aaron, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    I have a folder that is somewhat sensitive so I want to encrypt and
    password protect it in case my tablet gets lost or stolen. I use Sync
    Toy to sync between my desktop and the tablet.

    Scenario 1: (Best)
    The folder and all its contents are unencrypted on the desktop but is
    encrypted and prompts password to access on the tablet.

    Scenario 2: (if the 1st one is not possible)
    The folder is encrypted on both the desktop and the tablet.

    Scenario 3: (what i'm currently using)
    Zip and password protect the folder and copy it to the tablet.

    My question is, is it possible to achieve scenario 1 or 2 with some
    settings or software?

    I think a lot of people will find this useful.
    Thanks,

    Aaron

    Aaron, Mar 14, 2006

  2. With NTFS you can encrypt a folder or file on the hard drive. The encryption
    is transparent meaning whenever you try to access it from your user account,
    it will be decrypted on the fly. However, if you try to access it from
    another user account that doesn't have the decryption key stored in the
    profile, it will not.

    So basically what this means is if you right click the folder you want to
    encrypt and choose properties, then click the check box to encrypt the
    folder, then you should be able to achieve scenario 1 relatively easily. I
    doubt that the sync toy will copy the encryption attributes to the other
    machine, but if it does, then you will have achieved scenario #2.

    The important thing to note though is that if you get locked out of your
    user account and don't have a backup of the crypto keys, you will not be
    able to access your data.

    More info at the URL below

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/encrypt_overview.mspx

    --