Synchronizing Outlook (on a desktop and laptop)

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Brian Sweeney, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. I'm going to school this fall and intend to bring a
    desktop and a laptop computer. Is there any way I can get
    Outlook from each computer to synchronize tasks,
    calendars, and e-mail? I understand that it can be done
    via a Microsoft Exchange Server, but I don't have access
    to one. Can I somehow use offline file synchronization
    to do this? Please note that I have both computers
    currently set up to download E-mail from the above
    account, and I don't want to accidentally overwrite any E-
    mails upon synchronization.

    -Both machines run Windows XP and Outlook 2002 (Student
    Edition).
    -The laptop is a Compaq Tablet (TC1000).

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    ~Brian

    BTW: This whole post was written in ink... recognition is
    damn good!! Tablets are the greatest innovation i've seen
    in my life...

    Brian Sweeney, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Brian Sweeney

    JD Guest

    Exchange seems to be the correct way however there are a few alternatives.

    1) If you have access to the internet at school you could use a VPN
    connection to your home PC and share the Outlook DATA file. Change the data
    file used by your tablet to be the remote PST file. This works but you cant
    access anything offline.
    2) Alternativerely there is an old application built into windows called
    "Briefcase" if your .pst file is not too big say max 200mb then you can use
    Briefcase to SYNC the data file. This makes your data available offline.

    The larger the .pst file the longer it takes, but if your working enviroment
    is quite rigid then Im sure you could setup a midnight "task" to run
    briefcase whilst your Tablet is on charge at home and networked to your PC.

    Why everyone has forgotten about "Briefcase" is a mystery!! When you run it,
    theres little arrows showing which way its syncing, they look just like the
    PPC activesync ones! ;)

    Hope this helps.

    JD, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Brian Sweeney

    terri Guest

    terri, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Brian Sweeney

    JD Guest

    Agreed, use your Tablet as the source(host).pst file and then sync/share
    over to your desktop. Or use a smartcard.... I mean use a CF/SD/PCMCIA
    storage medium and put your .pst file on that. Remember ALWAYS backup your
    data to an altenative medium located elsewhere.

    Has this helped you Brian?

    JD, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Brian Sweeney

    chandler Guest

    If you have a compact flash card and reader, you could
    save your Outlook files, such as the .pst file, to that
    drive and swap that between computers. As an added
    benefit, your files would be completely mobile, so you
    could access them from any computer that had Outlook and a
    fflash card reader.

    chandler, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Brian Sweeney

    Brian Guest