syncing internal Serial ATA to external FireWire 400

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dave, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    I still want to try getting rsync to work and I tried it
    in my shell script.

    Below is the code from my shell script:

    RSYNC_EXCLUDES=/usr/local/bin/cron/rsync.excludes
    test -f $RSYNC_EXCLUDES || RSYNC_EXCLUDES=/dev/null
    #
    OPTIONS="--extended-attributes --archive --update --verbose"
    OPTIONS="$OPTIONS --delete --exclude-from=$RSYNC_EXCLUDES"
    #
    rsync "$OPTIONS" / /Volumes/DailyBackup

    Below is the relevant output in the log file:

    + rsync '--extended-attributes --archive --update --verbose --delete
    --exclude-from=/usr/local/bin/cron/rsync.excludes' / /Volumes/DailyBackup

    rsync: --extended-attributes --archive --update --verbose --delete
    --exclude-from=/usr/local/bin/cron/rsync.excludes: unknown option

    rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
    /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-20/rsync
    /main.c(1099)

    I don't get it because it claims 'unknown option'
    yet all of those options are in the rsync man page. ???

    By the way, does anyone know the default options of rsync?
    Maybe I'm using options that are already default options?

    Below is my version of rsync and current OS:

    $ rsync --version |head -1
    rsync version 2.6.3 protocol version 28

    $ sw_vers
    ProductName: Mac OS X
    ProductVersion: 10.4.3
    BuildVersion: 8F46

    Thanks for any help.

    Dave

    dave, Dec 20, 2005

  2. By using the quote marks, you are putting all of your options into a
    single word. It should be "rsync $OPTIONS / /Volumes/DailyBackup

    Note that this is "unknown option", not "unknown options".

    William Mitchell, Dec 20, 2005