SYNTAX board opinions, please...

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Ralph D., Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    I am looking at this deal

    http://www.ateck.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=453056181

    It is for a Syntax SV266A board with an XP 2400+ for $108 US. I am
    considering using the 2400+ in my K7S5A v3.1 and putting my Duron 1.3G in
    the Syntax with some SDRAM as an upgrade to my 10 year old son's homework
    and internet machine (his current machine already has the SDRAM, and I'll be
    swapping mine for some DDR at the show this weekend).

    Seems like an inexpensive way to give both machines a boost. His gets light
    use and mine gets beat on heavily.

    Any opinions on Syntax boards in general or this one in particular?

    thanks!

    Ralph D., Apr 23, 2004

  2. Ralph D.

    Mr. Slow Guest

    The Syntax is a good board, I have several running without problems. I would
    put the XP2400 in this board rather than the Duron, because you may well
    have problems upgrading your K7S5A to run at 133/133 especially as it is a
    Rev. 3.1. If your K7S5A is running stable with the Duron, I would leave it
    that way!

    The only things I would say about the Syntax /XP2400 combo is that it is not
    terribly cheap (it would be cheaper to buy this combo in the UK, which is
    unusual) and also the motherboard CD is a bit of a nightmare to use and
    setting the Syntax board up is not really for first-timers because of this.

    Mr. Slow, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Ralph D.

    Kylesb Guest

    I you are going to do some system upgrades, checkout the refurb mobos
    at newegg.com, there are some great deals there.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Ralph D.

    TX_Dude Guest

    Tigerdirect.com has this board for $9.99 after rebate

    TX_Dude, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    Thanks for the reply... that board is the AD not the A. I like to stay with
    the boards that take two RAM types... ie the K7S5A, the PA2007, the DFI
    K6BV3+ (best board I ever owned, by the way... now going dead over it's
    power regulator or it would still chug much longer with that K6III+).

    This whole decision has been put on hold anyhow, as my main system crapped
    out on me for the last several days and will need my cash (fingers crossed
    the DFI hangs in there a few more months!)

    Thanks also to Kyle and Mr. Slow.

    Ralph D., Apr 28, 2004