System 7/Mac Classic: Making a backup system diskette without the original diskette

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Dave Shea, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Dave Shea

    Dave Shea Guest

    Hi,

    I've just inherited a pair of Mac Classic's. One fires up sweetly from
    it's internal HDD and the other looks sad. On the sad one I read the
    manual and thought, ah-ha, no system disk. I'll pop in the nice Apple
    one that came with the working Mac and use that to kick-start it.

    No joy, just two very broad black/white vertical bars....but........

    Now, I cannot get the diskette out of the sad one's internal drive.
    I've tried the mouse down during power-on idea. I've tried the
    <Apple>+Shift+1 trick. I've tried the paper clip idea but the little
    sod won't come out more that about 5mm.

    So, my main concern is, how do I find out about making a bootable
    diskette in case the happy Mac also gets sad sometime in the future.
    I'm not too fussed about apps that were on the machine, just the
    System 7 files.

    Any thoughts ?

    Whilst you are all scratching your heads, does anyone have any more
    bright ideas about getting that diskette out of the internal drive ?

    Many thanks.

    Dave Shea

    Dave Shea, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Unfortunately a screen display like that sounds like a hardware problem.
    Push harder? If the disk won't come out with a paper clip in the manual
    eject hole then it's a mechanical problem and the drive would probably
    need to be removed.
    If you have access to another Mac or PC you can download System 6, 7 or
    7.5 disk images from Apple, write them to a 1.4MB floppy disk and boot
    from that.
    <http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html>

    Something unique with the Classic is that it has a minimal OS on a ROM
    disk. You can boot from the ROM disk by holding down command-option-X-O
    at startup.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Dave Shea